Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The ever-popular annual leftover rice thread

billy_bob

Air of bewilderment model's own
I have just eaten four vegetable maki leftover from lunch yesterday, which spent the afternoon in a carton in the boot of the car and then the night in the fridge.

If I don't post here tomorrow, could someone alert the authorities please so the dog isn't forced to devour my mortal remains?

If I should die, think only this of me: 'Billy who? was he new or something?'

9032e80fa0dcf886c90cf3b275cb7368.JPG

Rice, tiny bits of carrot, cucumber, avocado etc., nori seaweed.

It will depend on whether the maki were made with genuine or ersatz wasabi. The real stuff is a powerful bacteriocide also effective against rice badgers. If it's the cheap knockoff green-food-colouring imitation then you're as good as dead already.

hope you gave them a quick blast in the microwave to make them safe

A quick blast? To destroy baccilus cereus you need to microwave on full power for 4 minutes (and there is still a risk that that won't kill all the spores if there's a fair amount of rice) The resulting rice will be very poor after nuking it for that long.

Yep, sushi's the way of preparing the rice, only sashimi is necessarily with raw fish, afaik.
Sashimi can be meat rather than fish. Sushi doesn't have to have fish on it but vegetable sushi is at best disappointing. My in-laws (who are Chinese and for whom sushi is also exotic foreign food) once made sushi rolls with bits of chopped up frankfurter in them. They were truly foul.

Sashimi can be meat rather than fish. Sushi doesn't have to have fish on it but vegetable sushi is at best disappointing.

Matter of opinion. Lots of tastes in Japanese cuisine are subtle (a lot of others are very pungent, of course) - as long as the ingredients are good quality I think vegetable sushi can be delicious.

These ones weren't, ironically.

Sashimi can be meat rather than fish. Sushi doesn't have to have fish on it but vegetable sushi is at best disappointing. My in-laws (who are Chinese and for whom sushi is also exotic foreign food) once made sushi rolls with bits of chopped up frankfurter in them. They were truly foul.

Apparently chicken sashimi is a thing :hmm:

Is it not the toxins and not the bacteria themselves that do the harm - so nuking the poisoned rice won't make any difference ?
Presumably they have to be treated in order to be safe since they're served cold, but not THAT cold ?

Japanese regularly make sushi or the simpler onigiri rice balls first thing in the morning and take it to work like sandwiches. So the rice sits there at room temperature for 4-5 hours. Plenty of Japanese appear to survive this process so my theory is you will be ok. Unless you left the heating on in the car in which case you will start vomiting blood shortly.

Is it not the toxins and not the bacteria themselves that do the harm - so nuking the poisoned rice won't make any difference ?
Presumably they have to be treated in order to be safe since they're served cold, but not THAT cold ?

Both the toxins and the bacteria (and the spores, which are even harder to destroy). The bacteria can produce several types of toxins, some in the food and some in your intestines after you've ingested the bacteria. The spores can quickly produce more bacteria if they have not been iradicated. It needs to be boiled for at least 5 minutes or microwaved on full power for 4 minutes... which frankly, destroys the food. The vast amount of cases come from fried rice, when stir frying rice doesn't provide enough heat for long enough

Still alive.

I've put leftover risotto in a frittata on many occasions. I'm sure it doesn't get as hot as some people are saying it needs to: it sits in the egg as it cooks over very low heat for about 15 mins. I've never died from that yet.

Incidentally, you lot. I notice no one's jumping in to reassure me my posts are a highly valuable contribution and I'm a respected member of the Urban community :mad:

If I should die, think only this of me: 'Billy who? was he new or something?'

Blatant cry for help :(

It doesn't matter that much how hot it gets. It's all about how cold the rice has been kept since it has been cooked. Just don't leave it out in the pan overnight and expect to survive.

Back
Top Bottom