Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Doors

Absolutely worship The Doors, coolest mutherfuckers, explosive and brilliant, brilliant musicially - another thing is that Oliver Stone was very wrong about Jim. Morrison never believed in any of the Lizard King bullshit - he loathed all that shite, his closest allies such as Ray Lisciandro and Tony Funches have said that. Funny you should mention Jim, he was exonerated of exposing himself in Miami the other day.

you think? i had a long love affair with Zappa but then grew to really hate it. Even his guitar solos are smug. He was smug, self-regarding, misgoynist, pompous elitist dick in dire need of an editor

There's no way I could listen to Zappa these days but I can still listen to the Doors, though not a whole album and not the wanky stuff I liked as a stoned and pretentious teenager. My boyfriend at the time used to play a lot of their songs on his acoustic guitar and I've always thought if something sounds good from one man and his guitar then it's probably a good song. Jim Morrison was a bit of a wanker but I kind of think, so what?

Why pretentious, people? The songs weren't all about his last girlfriend having chucked him, admittedly.

There may be a good lesson or two to be had from Jim regarding not trying too hard to rhyme though.

Like a dog without a bone, an actor out on lone

Deary me!

That has to be the weakest criticism i've ever seen of someone's lyrics.

What do we reckons the best album then? I like all of them but I'd go for 'LA Woman' every time. Really bluesy, minimal wankiness, his voice sounded great when the Marlboros had done their trick. Pity they never got to play much of it live.

That has to be the weakest criticism i've ever seen of someone's lyrics.

You like those lyrics then? I didnt think I needed to add detailed criticism really because I thought those awful lyrics spoke for themselves.

Anyway as I said earlier, I do still rather like some of The Doors songs. And there are times when I can overcome the pretentious nature of some creative types, whilst at other moments it overwhelms me and fills me with urgh.

As for Zappa, there is plenty of valid criticism that can be cast his way. I dont worship him, in some ways much of his music isnt all that listenable, but in a certain mood I can appreciate its intricacies and his social commentary and sense of humour. I dont think working for or with him would have been much fun most of the time, and some of his attitudes may have been questionable but it can be hard to tell considering that a lot of it is social commentary that is not afraid to get into controversial areas. Taken at face value some of his songs do appear to be exceedingly misogynistic but Im not entirely convinced, certainly wouldnt bet my life on it as I think some interpretations of these works may be missing the points he was actually trying to make about society.

Anyways loads of the people whose music I admire were tossers in various different ways, it doesnt destroy the music for me, and that includes both The Doors and Zappa.

i can see why they (and Jim Morrisions especially) wind people up, but i like them on the whole - there are a fair few doors tracks i really like - perhaps my favourite of all is moonlight drive - great guitar parts+solo - sounding great on this live clip:

if that was a cult bootleg 7' bside it would be universally praised i reckon. maybe not. the doors movie came out when i was a teen - it felt like going through the same overexposure i guess they had at the time.
i love all the organ/harpsichord bits
love a bit of Arthur Lee Love too
my mates got a great collection of Light My Fire covers - theres a lot them about
of the famous tracks riders on the storm is jukebox standard. break on through is a banger! theres a good hip-hop sample of that from a couple of years back - trying to remember what it is
id rather some doors lps than beatles lps thats for sure. at least the doors had a bit of guts about them. i like most music thats got a drug cocktail coursing through its veins

*I wish just thinking, he gets a bit shouty sometimes - i wonder who the first person was to do shouty singing?

Unfashionable is the new fashionable.

As an aside, I went to a pub called The Doors in Seoul and they played Pink Floyd music all night

theres a depeche mode bar in tallin that only plays DM - my DM loving partners been there - full of DM fans - she loved it.

oh, and unfashionable fashion is out ive heard

Jim Morrison was one of the best vocalists in the history of vocalists, even though I consider him to have been a bit of a bastard.

Jim Morrison was one of the best vocalists in the history of vocalists, even though I consider him to have been a bit of a bastard.

True. He had a fantastic blues voice, check him out here. Brilliant song too. Robbie wrote it (and most of The Soft Parade)

I like the pop songs well enough - People are strange, Light my fire etc. But what a colossal bell-end Jim Morrison was. Got a book of his poems out of the library once and it was execrable.

Back
Top Bottom