Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Brockwell Gate development: what was there before?

Dick Sheppard School. Until recently the bus stop outside the park gates was still called that.

As posted by Lang Rabbie some time ago...

"The founder of the Peace Pledge Union was Hugh Richard Lawrie Sheppard, popularly known as Dick Sheppard. He was a charismatic figure, a pioneer in a number of ventures, but always in touch with ordinary people.

Surprisingly, perhaps, for someone so popular and down to earth, he was born at Windsor Castle on 2 September 1880. His father was one of the clergy of the castle's St George's Chapel, and Dick's early years were spent in the castle and St James' Palace. His father wanted Dick to follow him into the priesthood of the Anglican Church, but Dick was unsure whether he had such a vocation."

Is that what the newish school on the other side of the road replaced, then?

It seems quite a big site just for a school. Or was it partly playing fields and stuff?

The Dick Sheppard school pretty much took up the whole site. Part of the arrangement when it was knocked down was to build the Jubilee School across the road and I believe the developers of Brockwell Gate had to contribute to that (not sure to what extent) and to some improvements to the ponds in Brockwell Park.

Once upon a time lots of teenagers lived in Lambeth! Dick Sheppard was a secondary school, so was Tulse Hill school, which stood where the new estates are between Athlone Road and Upper Tulse Hill.

The Dick Sheppard school pretty much took up the whole site. Part of the arrangement when it was knocked down was to build the Jubilee School across the road and I believe the developers of Brockwell Gate had to contribute to that (not sure to what extent) and to some improvements to the ponds in Brockwell Park.

didn't bother replacing the swimming pool though did they :rolleyes:

There's a school on elm park that they've been rebuilding for some time, and looks like it's nearing completion now.

by the gate to the park where the traffic lights are now there was a ?25m pool in its own building which was the schools but I went in on several occasions with summer projects or with the youth centre that used to be at the other end of the site.

afaik Brockwell primary also did swimming there.

there was apparently some really good youth provision at the sch., tho i think the sch was struggling, but wot a shame 2 close it down. phillip lawrence, the headteacher stabbed 2 death in a westminster sch, was head at ds, i think the new sch at the strand is the new site for elm court special sch.

AFAIK the Jubilee School, which is a primary school, wasn't directly funded by the sale of Dick Sheppard.

A strangely precise £871,592 of the "Section 106" planning gain money paid by Fairclough Homes when they got planning consent for the Brockwell Gate development was for youth facilities. There were also separate pots for improvements to Brockwell Park. It looks as though eventually something like £260k was used to pay for refurbishing Tulse Hill Adventure playground (the original budget for that project was only c.£200k IIRC) and I think that the balance eventually part-funded the conversion of the Old Library in West Norwood into a youth centre.

The bulk of the actual sale proceeds received by Lambeth for the school site went to pay for rebuilding/refurbishment of other schools in the Borough then underway, which predated the Jubilee School project.

i remember the school, i reckon it must have been knocked down in about 1998 or 1999. didn't ken livingstone also go to school there? he was certainly born on that estate anyway.

Back
Top Bottom