Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Barbican estate - what's your verdict?

I think it still looks great, but a real maze to navigate around - I've spent many an hour wandering around the estate in the past.

I've only been inside a flat on the estate a couple of times when I worked for an organisation and one of the directors owned a flat there - as Sunray says above, I was really struck by how quiet it was.

I'll take it!

*if I had some money

Dude!

Here is a flat at the foot of Boxhill -- an insanely expensive area in its own right in the Surrey Hills.

It's located in this:

38066_DOR100135_IMG_00_0000_max_620x414.jpg

For £595k, you get 1335 sq ft, including a drawing room that would swallow the Barbican flat's whole reception area whole without noticing and a kitchen in one of those beautiful bay windows.

Personally, I'd still view that flat as massively overpriced but by comparison to the Barbican flat, it's a bargain!

I live there. It's f*cking fantastic.

. . . Built to last 100s of years, so they say. . . .

. . . The "front" entrance of the arts center opens onto the lakeside . . .
? Silk Street is the main entrance for the arts center

It's got no social housing in it at all (AFAIK) - your acquaintances must live on the adjacent Golden Lane estate. The Barbican was conceived from the start as middle-class housing for City workers.
Correct about it's conception but pretty sure it was originally council (well, Corporation Of London). Certainly there are a (very) few original tenants around + you'll occaisionally see a Corporation short-term let come on the market.

. . . We have heard many interesting tales about the Garchey vacuum-powered waste-disposal system and other such engineering marvels :D
Have an original kitchen, absolutely superb layout and totally love my Garchey!

. . . Personally, I'd still view that flat as massively overpriced but by comparison to the Barbican flat, it's a bargain!
Pound per square foot it's actually on the cheap side for the area, factor in the stupendous build quality (not a stud wall in sight) and it's a bargin.

Lots more info here

I love it, though some of that is due to it bringing back memories from early childhood when my parents used to drag me around the South Bank, which is a dreamlike environment when you're only small. The confusing layout just adds to that feeling.

I was there a few months ago in really sharp, clear light, and that really exaggerates the edges and makes for amazing photos.

This is me too.

It is tatty and kinda oppressive but in a really good way :)

I live there. It's f*cking fantastic.

? Silk Street is the main entrance for the arts center
Not by the original design intent. The foyer, box office, lifts and staircases all face the lake, which has multiple entrance doors. The Silk Street entrance is sandwiched between the backstage entrances for the two main performance spaces and was never intended to be the main entrance. The City Highwalks were intended to be the main access to the complex - pedestrians weren't expected to arrive via the street.

Correct about it's conception but pretty sure it was originally council (well, Corporation Of London). Certainly there are a (very) few original tenants around + you'll occaisionally see a Corporation short-term let come on the market.

Lots more info here
Excellent info there, thanks :)

I went there the other weekend for the first time in years, and for the first time really enjoyed it, and got it as a building. Its confusing to get around, but thats quite fun if youve got time to spare, which I did. Even going to the toilets was an adventure - you go through the door and theres a curved passage which eventually leads to a urinal.

my friend was telling me that lots of the fixtures in the flats are listed (as is the building), so you cant just fit a new kitchen or what not.

. . .
my friend was telling me that lots of the fixtures in the flats are listed (as is the building), so you cant just fit a new kitchen or what not.

Yup, it's grade II listed, you can't change the skirting boards without planning permission for example as they are deemed to be integral to the structure.

LOve the Barbican

You need to walk round the nearby Golden Lane estate, designed by the same peeps to get the view of why it is the way it is

79175291723a81d99f88b719bbfb1ebc733f7d69.jpg

GLE%20Sport%20Centre.jpg

Worked by it for 2 years, loved the walkways from Moorgate

I agree. It doesn't even do anything, it's just full of walkway and ramp that go nowhere

I think the original plan for all that vaguely Piranesian brickwork above the Barbican Tandoori was that it was going to support a bridge across Aldersgate Steeet. The west side of the street would also have been rebuilt in Barbican style with walkways through to St Bartholomew the Great.

I've got a friend who lives there. It's not very pushchair friendly :D I do love it though but the rooms are all tiny.

fM - the Museum of London also has a book listing deaths in London. It's open to a page in the 16th century (I think) and the causes of death are very interesting. You can kind of work out what the people actually died of (instead of faded away (cancer?), dropped down dead (heart attack) etc)

I lived very close to the Barbican when I was a kid. When the flats first opened, my mum took me and my sister to view one of the show flats. It was really lovely, but the rent was too high for my parents to be able to afford, so we stayed in our high rise flat on a nearby council estate.

Was reminded to post some pics of 'The Cottage' in Barbican, after it was mentioned on Robert Elms 'Notes & Queries' earlier in the year. So I decided to take a look - despite the amount of time I've spent around here, I never noticed it over the years.

barbican2.jpg
barbican1.jpg

Some more history here.

Was reminded to post some pics of 'The Cottage' in Barbican, after it was mentioned on Robert Elms 'Notes & Queries' earlier in the year. So I decided to take a look - despite the amount of time I've spent around here, I never noticed it over the years.

barbican2.jpg
barbican1.jpg

Some more history here.
Coincidentally I past this on Friday as we were out for works drinks in Farringdon and wondered what it was! I thought it ought to belong in a theme park or Beamish.

Back
Top Bottom