Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The badlands of London: a dystopian discovery

Is there a word for getting a kind of subdued frisson of aesthetic satisfaction when contemplating urban concrete bleakness? If not, there ought to be one imo.
I havent read it but Iv heard that JG Ballards Crash is about driving around the bigger monoconcrete roads around 80s heathrow and wanting to crash your car motivated by a subsconscious sexual desire...or something like that

I havent read it but Iv heard that JG Ballards Crash is about driving around the bigger monoconcrete roads around 80s heathrow and wanting to crash your car motivated by a subsconscious sexual desire...or something like that
It wasn't a subconscious desire that drove the protagonists. They were very aware of what and why they were doing it. I read the first few chapters in Heffers bookshop on a rainy trip to Cambridge about 20 years ago

Concrete island; brilliant book.

Crash was published in 1973

This song inspired by the novel was released in 1978

...A tear of petrol
Is in your eye
The hand brake
Penetrates your thigh
Quick - Let's make love
Before you die...

driving in to london on the a13 gives me existential dread

used to be part of my route (or at least the bit between the north circular and the blackwall tunnel) between home (when i was in the east midlands) and mum-tat's place south of the river.

had a nasty moment one time when i came over the canning town flyover and was confronted with a new junction with loads of lanes and traffic lights and roads in various directions, all of which hadn't been there the previous time...

The view of London when you come over the flyover by the Beckton Alps I quite like.

i remember the beckton alps when it was just the shit tip from the gasworks. it would only be a slight exaggeration to say it glowed in the dark...

I had a drive yesterday late afternoon/early evening up the A12 from Hackney Wick to Redbridge, then back home around the A406 to the Edmonton incinerator and down the A1055 to Tottenham Hale.

Here's another track inspired by JG Ballard

Back
Top Bottom