Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tell me / teach me about VR for noobs

ATOMIC SUPLEX

Played a racing game in the shopping centre today and liked it. I don't usually like games, let alone racing ones. I did like the vr experience though.
Is there an easy way to buy the whole console/headset at once and are there games available for people who don't usually game. I've tried playing the modern version of golden eye and I can't get off the first level.

So, is there an all in one I can buy, and are there some fun simple games for noobs?

Depends on how much you want to spend. I’ve got the Vive (HTC), Oculus Rift and the Samsung Gear VR. The first two need a good graphics card (i’ve got a GTX980ti) and are connected by a cable to the back of the headset but have better graphics. The Samsung you put your phone into but no cable (worse graphics...not bad graphics though and its way cheaper). I prefer the unteathered option myself. Oculus have just released two new headsets (the Rift-S (cabled and powerful PC req’d) and the Quest (stand alone). I’m looking at the Quest as it seems a good compromise between the two approaches.
You’ll need a decent sized play space as you’ll be moving around.
As for games: You can play Doom and Fallout 4 in VR but you’ll need a crazy GPU and you’ll have the pesky cable. Mine craft is fun in VR. The Talos Principle (puzzle game), Superhot (fucking amazing shooter...my most played VR game). There’s loads really. A lot of of older games are being ported over to VR. Don’t know about consoles (PC gamer).

Last edited:
The Oculus hand controllers are absolutely the best in the market by the way (they’ll sense your hands and fingers so you can do thumbs up or pointing gestures and represent them in VR). The Samsung phone based option uses a game controller.

for all in one simple straightforward stuff the playstation VR might be up your street. But that may be a bit limited in terms of game releases.

Back
Top Bottom