Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tell me about tempeh and tofu

sojourner

Where's me readers?
In an attempt to widen our sources of protein, I have ordered some plain firm tofu and tempeh in my next big shop.

I'm planning to put the tempeh into a curry using aubergine, Zanzibar curry powder ( Zanzibar Curry Powder For Sale: Buy Curry Powder Online | Seasoned Pioneers) and coconut milk. Aiming to slice the tofu into strips (if it will oblige!) and do fajitas with it.

Having never cooked with either before, I would appreciate some advice. So far, I have gleaned from tinternet that you need to cook tempeh in some way for quite a while? So in a curry, I'd need to fry it for a good while?

My wife does a nice version of salt and chilli deep-fried tofu in the air fryer. Kids always scoff it before I get more than a nibble though. The ready deep-fried stuff from Chinese supermarkets is quite nice though. It needs a lot of added flavour and texture before it's genuinely nice to eat though.

In an attempt to widen our sources of protein, I have ordered some plain firm tofu and tempeh in my next big shop.

I'm planning to put the tempeh into a curry using aubergine, Zanzibar curry powder ( Zanzibar Curry Powder For Sale: Buy Curry Powder Online | Seasoned Pioneers) and coconut milk. Aiming to slice the tofu into strips (if it will oblige!) and do fajitas with it.

Having never cooked with either before, I would appreciate some advice. So far, I have gleaned from tinternet that you need to cook tempeh in some way for quite a while? So in a curry, I'd need to fry it for a good while?
I just fry both in a pan then add to rest of food cooking

Tofu is far, far easier in my experience. But the type you buy is of paramount importance. The Tofoo brand in supermarkets is extra extra firm and is great used as is straight from the packet. Other brands (eg cauldron) are not so firm and so have a texture that is perhaps less palatable to the tofu newbie - if you've got that kind of 'average' tofu I'd really recommend pressing it first (you can wrap it in a clean tea towel, balance a chopping board on it with some cans of beans or something for an hour or so).

Then for fajitas, I think I'd probably marinade it first in some oil, spices and a dash of something acidic like lime or lemon. Then fry or bake.

Tempeh is a whole different story. Lots of people say it's much better steamed first. I struggle with it - I've liked it cooked by other people, especially in indonesian type curries, but I've failed to make it nice myself.

Favourite tofu recipe is probably tearing off bits into rough chunks, tossing with oil / spices / couple of tablespoons of corn flour getting it well covered and air frying it for 10-15 mins. Makes a really chewy tasty ingredient for stir fries etc.

So we usually do Teriyaki tofu steaks.

We also do:
Kung pao tofu
Tofu kaarage (press it, freeze it, get it out, repress, fry it)
Tofu katsu - tofu in panko breadcrumbs, wife uses milk rather than eggs to stick
Tofu noodle soup - quick cook the tofu in the pan add to various noodle soup recipes

I’m sure there’s others

If you can get tofu skins from a Japanese or Korea shop you can make things like Katsune Udon or add to miso soups

Is the tofu silken or firm?

If its silken it's like egg whites, just chop up and pop into soups, scramble it or whatever. If firm I press it a bit more with kitchen roll under a board/pan, to get more moisture out, let it soak a little soy sauce up, coat in cornflour and fry til crispy. Then add it to whatever dish I'm having. It'll be crispy, chewy and the coating will soak up the flavour of the sauce.

Tempeh I just fry straight up, usually with a bit of light soy. Goes great with satay sauce.

Sliced thinly and fried with soy til crispy, it's the best bacon replacement for butties.

A really quick and easy way is scallions to cure the wok, cubed or thin sliced firm tofu then just a bit of salt and a splash of soy, fry until edges just start to brown. Can add a little water or rice wine. I like to chuck in peas and diced mushrooms too. Marinating in cooking wine, soy and ginger is also very nice.

Is the tofu silken or firm?

If its silken it's like egg whites, just chop up and pop into soups, scramble it or whatever. If firm I press it a bit more with kitchen roll under a board/pan, to get more moisture out, let it soak a little soy sauce up, coat in cornflour and fry til crispy. Then add it to whatever dish I'm having. It'll be crispy, chewy and the coating will soak up the flavour of the sauce.

Tempeh I just fry straight up, usually with a bit of light soy. Goes great with satay sauce.

Sliced thinly and fried with soy til crispy, it's the best bacon replacement for butties.
Firm. I bought silken by mistake years ago and fucked it right up.

Okay thanks, good tips there.

you know they make tofu presses these days? you don't need to balance some books on top of a towel on top of the tofu any more.

I'm a tofu beginner but I press it, cut it into cubes and then marinade in flour, soy sauce, sesame oil, bit of hot sauce, bbq sauce, honey. Whatever really. I'd like to know how to do it better tbh so I'll watch this thread. :)

Tofu is far, far easier in my experience. But the type you buy is of paramount importance. The Tofoo brand in supermarkets is extra extra firm and is great used as is straight from the packet. Other brands (eg cauldron) are not so firm and so have a texture that is perhaps less palatable to the tofu newbie - if you've got that kind of 'average' tofu I'd really recommend pressing it first (you can wrap it in a clean tea towel, balance a chopping board on it with some cans of beans or something for an hour or so).

Then for fajitas, I think I'd probably marinade it first in some oil, spices and a dash of something acidic like lime or lemon. Then fry or bake.

Tempeh is a whole different story. Lots of people say it's much better steamed first. I struggle with it - I've liked it cooked by other people, especially in indonesian type curries, but I've failed to make it nice myself.
I got the Tofoo tempeh and the Cauldron plain tofu. Cheers for the pressing advice - had no idea how to do that.

The freezing Artaxerxes mentions is a good tactic too, it's actually a thing you can buy here as it makes the texture a bit more rubbery so it stands up to stewing or hotpots, but think you get the same result doing it yourself. Then it also marinates better IIRC, though must confess not something I do myself.

Now, this is my kind of thread! I like to grill tofu rectangles with a salty or hot/sweet marinade. So good!
Once you get the habit of tofu, you'll never look at animal flesh the same way again.
Thank you for creating this thread!
(I don't know what tempeh is.. I'll have to look into it :thumbs:)

I press it using a chopping board and a side plate, either push down on it or put a carton of juice on top for a bit

I got the Tofoo tempeh and the Cauldron plain tofu. Cheers for the pressing advice - had no idea how to do that.
For that cauldron tofu. I cut it up to the size I want, place the bits on a couple of sheets of kitchen paper, with another couple of sheets on top, then put a breadboard weighted down with a pan to press any excess water out.

warning: im a shit cook#

i like to use as little oil as possible so frying the life out of (firm) tofu doesnt appeal to me

i cut it into bite size chunks then spray it with a little One Cal oil mainly to stop it sticking to the baking tray - can season it at this point too - and stick it in the oven for 15 minuites to dry and firm up....then this can be added into a stir fry or curry or whatever without it dissintegrating. works for me

Last edited:
Now, this is my kind of thread! I like to grill tofu rectangles with a salty or hot/sweet marinade. So good!
Once you get the habit of tofu, you'll never look at animal flesh the same way again.
Thank you for creating this thread!
(I don't know what tempeh is.. I'll have to look into it :thumbs:)
:) I can't remember the last time I ate meat tbh. I have tinned fish once or twice a week, but meat? Meh.

Aldi do an extra firm one for just a quid, one or the firmest I've tried.

Tofu is nicest dipped in cornflour and spices then deep fried and added to a sauce. Sadly I'm not using the deep fryer at the moment so tonight I'll throw some sauces on it, oven bake it and serve it on top of a noodle soup.

Tip: cube your tofu and toss it in cornflour. Bake until crisp on an oiled baking tray (20 mins at 180 should do it). The crispy morsels can then be served with a sauce of your choice, whether Chinese, Italian or even Arabian. Works great with Thai Green curry on a bed of brown rice!

Back
Top Bottom