Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Technical question about replacing a power supply for a device (with one you found about the house)

editor

hiraethified
This would be great if it turns out to be OK to use and a rare occasion of hoarding old chargers becoming useful!

So., somehow I lost the charger for my Tonor UHF TW-820 Wireless Microphones which requires 12V. This company sells replacements for £20. Here's what it looks like:

1701820832987.png

I found this charger and it seems to work perfectly -

1701820941741.png

Looking online it seems that a higher amperage doesn't matter so long as it's the righty voltage. but I thought I'd better check here.

Opinions please!

As it happens I've got a 12V 1.5A adapter that the wire has snapped off of, but I'm not sure that replacements will have the same (hollow) plug to fit into the disk drive. Are they standardized per voltage do we know?

As it happens I've got a 12V 1.5A adapter that the wire has snapped off of, but I'm not sure that replacements will have the same (hollow) plug to fit into the disk drive. Are they standardized per voltage do we know?
No nothing is standardized as such - but you get commonly used ones, so you will probably be able to find a replacement or something that is compatible.

Aside from the voltage, current and connector you also need to pay attention to the polarity. As you can see some power supplies have the centre pin as positive and others negative (getting it wrong is likely to kill it):

power-polarity.png

I'm in two minds. It's a 1 Tbyte backup disk when I now really need 2 Tbyte (which I have a couple of). It does however hold backups probably including data I wouldn't like external randoms to access. I'm also thinking of taking a lump hammer to it since there are no screws to undo.

You can buy variable voltage adapters that come with a large range of plugs so you should be able to find one to fit.

I don't know why the My Volts charger output is missing from your image, but it's 1.5A.

Replacing this with a same voltage, same polarity, 2A charger is absolutely fine. Devices draw the current they need and excess capacity is OK.
Or even better. Less work for the transformer.

I'm in two minds. It's a 1 Tbyte backup disk when I now really need 2 Tbyte (which I have a couple of). It does however hold backups probably including data I wouldn't like external randoms to access. I'm also thinking of taking a lump hammer to it since there are no screws to undo.
have you hammered it yet?

You can buy variable voltage adapters that come with a large range of plugs so you should be able to find one to fit.
ta for that yep have done it. :)

have you hammered it yet?
I thought about it and the adapter/plugs were a tenner and 1 Tbyte external hard disks are £50 or so. So I got an adapter and it works - always nice to have another copy of my downstairs pc plus all my CDs what I'm ripping.

Back
Top Bottom