Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tblisis- tips?

Wander round the old town looking at the olde neglected buildings, walk up to Narikala and Mother Georgia statue, drink wine, eat khachapuri, go to the flea market by the bridge. Theres a puppet theatre which is supposed to be v good but I didn't get to go to. I think they were doing The Battle of Stalingrad with puppets at the time.
Its not that big a place really so I'd probably aim for a couple of day trips out of town.

I think there are some tips here

Its a few years since I was there (2017 I think) so I'm sure there are plenty of good new places but this is what I remember
Wine bars - Vino Undergound, G-vino (Erekle II Street has a few good places)
Food - Barbarestan was very good for trad Georgian
Others - I stayed at Fabrika, which is an old factory and seems to be hipster central. Rooms Hotel Kazbegi looks nice. I would go there if I was going back.

Drink , food , hills . Combinations thereof. All good.

It’s worth a weekend easily. Tons of old churches and barking mad modern architecture litter the place. The old ( new) dezerter food market is a decent bazaar where you will end up buying a kilo of nuts whether you want to it not

The food and drink are wonderful though. You can just Pootle around a few sights and stop every couple of hours to load up on food

Sorry I missed this - I would have recommended the National Museum, the Kholketi gold is one of the most amazing collections I have seen!

like yeh but I dont know If i can face 90 mins

anyhow, i was planning black sea to caspian sea for the family this summer, overnight trains and high jinks/ beach. mountains/ lakes . But the Azeris havent yet opened the land borders- legacy of covid but there may be something there about them tryin to reduce the numbers Russian draft escapees going on in the background

I was there in 2006 (thank you Dr Soros). I'd recommend it to anyone - there was an Irish political scientist I met there who told me he was looking into buying a flat in the city.

Georgian food is fantastic, but it's one of those carb-heavy cuisines intended for people who do a lot of physical work every day. So bring your hiking boots as well as your eating boots.

What I remember being most impressed by is the old church architecture.

Riklet I think Georgian airways still flies from Gatwick to Tbilisi and Wizz air still fly Luton-Kutaisi. I don't know if Georgian airways have a better time now - they were doing about the last slot of the day, after 11pm, which meant arriving in Tbilisi about 5am local time, and it is not an early morning culture. Plus it was a totally wrenching timezone shift with that timing - it was lucky we had friends there so we could crash at theirs until we could move to our airbnb later in the day.

Otherwise there are various flights via Turkey, which is how you had to do it before the direct ones.

I think I went air Baltic last time but it’s cheap if tiring to get there via shitty Ryanair style regional airlines like Agean. As above , arriving at 5am is a killer if you have had a crap journey

Back
Top Bottom