Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Taunton Town v. Dulwich Hamlet, 7 February 2023

AveryDave

Another long journey tonight, approximately 30 miles further than Weymouth if avoiding the madness of the A303 and sticking to the motorways, and racking up over 600 miles in four days for those travelling ground-to-ground for both matches.

Since losing 0-1 at home to St Albans towards the end of January, their first League loss at home since August 2021, Taunton have beaten Havant & Waterlooville 2-0 at home before beating Eastbourne Borough 3-0 away at the weekend, a result which took them above us in the League.

They've seemingly got a settled squad - eight of their starting XI from the Trophy game in November started at the weekend with a couple of players swapping their places on the bench for a starting spot.

Not sure my maths is 100% right but believe Frankie Raymond and Sanchez Ming should be available after their suspensions, and Josh Hill's month on loan at Hemel Hempstead ended after their game at the weekend although he didn't play in that match.

This is an insane fixture for a midweek game, between that and the first game at Bath being midweek, and Dover over Christmas, the fixtures are a joke this season.

Another long journey tonight, approximately 30 miles further than Weymouth if avoiding the madness of the A303 and sticking to the motorways, and racking up over 600 miles in four days for those travelling ground-to-ground for both matches.

Since losing 0-1 at home to St Albans towards the end of January, their first League loss at home since August 2021, Taunton have beaten Havant & Waterlooville 2-0 at home before beating Eastbourne Borough 3-0 away at the weekend, a result which took them above us in the League.

They've seemingly got a settled squad - eight of their starting XI from the Trophy game in November started at the weekend with a couple of players swapping their places on the bench for a starting spot.

Not sure my maths is 100% right but believe Frankie Raymond and Sanchez Ming should be available after their suspensions, and Josh Hill's month on loan at Hemel Hempstead ended after their game at the weekend although he didn't play in that match.
Sanchez has a three game ban. Second is this evening

Always disappointing not to get the win after leading at half time but sounds like we were under the cosh for the second half, at a place where few visiting teams come away with more than a point. A first point in 5 games is a start. Now we need to back that up with a few more from the home games on the next two Saturdays and next Tuesday's trip to Braintree.

A well earned point and like has been mentioned some backs against the stuff to secure it.

I'd say we were worth our lead at half time, Thompson, Odusanya and Powell are a breath of fresh air and add a good attacking spark which is much needed.

The 2nd half we seemed to sit a bit deeper and this allowed Taunton to get on top. We relied on counter attacks and had a couple of good efforts, one where a last ditch block stopped Owusu testing the keeper after some neat footwork and one which finished with the ball going across the six yard box and agonisingly no toe to poke it home.

By full-time it was a bit chilly but worth the journey.

I'd be interested to know from baleboy_93 as he probably had a better view than myself whether he felt the Odusanya and Felix bookings were merited.

A well earned point and like has been mentioned some backs against the stuff to secure it.

I'd say we were worth our lead at half time, Thompson, Odusanya and Powell are a breath of fresh air and add a good attacking spark which is much needed.

The 2nd half we seemed to sit a bit deeper and this allowed Taunton to get on top. We relied on counter attacks and had a couple of good efforts, one where a last ditch block stopped Owusu testing the keeper after some neat footwork and one which finished with the ball going across the six yard box and agonisingly no toe to poke it home.

By full-time it was a bit chilly but worth the journey.

I'd be interested to know from baleboy_93 as he probably had a better view than myself whether he felt the Odusanya and Felix bookings were merited.
Odusanya definitely, was booked for preventing a counter attack, I think Joe wouldn't have been booked for the initial challenge he made, which in my view wasn't a foul anyway as he won the ball, he got his yellow for his reaction, picked up the ball and slammed it into the ground in front of the ref.

We played very well last night to earn that point, it's a very hostile support there and our players did well to not rise to it throughout the night, up there as one of the nastiest fanbases in the league I would say. Talking to a volunteer he said they've had an issue with new younger fans coming this season, they are embarrassed as a club that the support is like this.

Holland immense as captain, ably supported by Quade, Felix at his best too, whilst Charlie made some important saves. Great to see Nana back in the line-up and looking dangerous throughout the game.

Some people on this forum seem to not be a fan of Paul, but having worked with him very closely over the last five months, I can say how brilliant he is to work alongside. I had a good relationship with Gavin and Junior, but equally do with Barnsey, and I am excited about seeing what he will do with his own squad next season.

We played very well last night to earn that point, it's a very hostile support there and our players did well to not rise to it throughout the night, up there as one of the nastiest fanbases in the league I would say. Talking to a volunteer he said they've had an issue with new younger fans coming this season, they are embarrassed as a club that the support is like this.
I did wonder about that. I noticed they don't allow under 14s unless accompanied by an adult. I've been to Taunton for cricket and it doesn't have a good reputation for the one day matches. There's definitely a village idiot element in the town that I haven't encountered in most of the many other places I've visited for live sport.

Odusanya definitely, was booked for preventing a counter attack, I think Joe wouldn't have been booked for the initial challenge he made, which in my view wasn't a foul anyway as he won the ball, he got his yellow for his reaction, picked up the ball and slammed it into the ground in front of the ref.

Holland immense as captain, ably supported by Quade, Felix at his best too, whilst Charlie made some important saves. Great to see Nana back in the line-up and looking dangerous throughout the game.

Some people on this forum seem to not be a fan of Paul, but having worked with him very closely over the last five months, I can say how brilliant he is to work alongside. I had a good relationship with Gavin and Junior, but equally do with Barnsey, and I am excited about seeing what he will do with his own squad next season.
Thanks for that Tom, I didn't have the best of views so thought the bookings looked soft.

They held back the home support until all the players were off the pitch (enjoyed watching a couple of our players slowly make their way off 🤣) so we were exiting the same time as them and they kept themselves to themselves.

Back
Top Bottom