Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Taking things onto planes

keybored

Well done. You remember cat good.
I'm flying from Gatwick to Geneva next week. I'll have a bike in a bag in the hold luggage, and a bag of hand luggage to take into the cabin with me. I'm allowed 32kg hold luggage and no weight limit for hand luggage; there is a maximum bag size however. So it makes sense to take smaller, denser items in my hand luggage and chuck clothes etc. in with the bike.

I want to take my bike lock (which is a large chain as pictured) in my hand luggage but I'm concerned it could (to a zealous security officer) be seen as a potential weapon. It weighs almost 2kg. Have any urbs taken something like this on a plane, or have any idea on the guidelines for taking stuff on planes?

616929491_o.jpg

I had a similar problem as queueing up for the scanners bit realised I had a number of bike tools that I could easily conceivably Macgyver style bring down the plane (including a folding bike lock). Fortunately they didn't really have any problem though the lock did cause the case to be opened by them there and then as it looked gun magazine-esque on the xray,

It isn't the airline, it's airport security who make the decisions and from past experience that's been almost arbitrary. I do take your point though, but I was hoping to get some feedback from people who might have done this (successfully or otherwise).

I'd be surprised if they let you take it on in hand luggage, given how easily it could be used for nefarious purposes, so it might be easier to shove in the luggage destined for the hold.

I'd be surprised if they let you take it on in hand luggage, given how easily it could be used for nefarious purposes, so it might be easier to shove in the luggage destined for the hold.
...which is likely to put the hold luggage over the weight limit.

I'm allowed ... no weight limit for hand luggage;

Are you sure about that? You might want to check the small print. All the non-budget flights I've been on for the past decade have had hand luggage weight limits. E.g. BA have a 23 kg limit: they really don't want people with gold ingots in their carry-ons.

That's bollocks btw.

No one has ever transported a bike and not put tools/clothing in the bike bag. If in massive doubt, try and include them to look as if they're padding etc.
I did that a bit (used shin pads to protect swingarm, stuffed some tools in there and some other padding around the frame). Still ended up booking another hold bag for everything else, I read elsewhere that they're more likely to look in the bike bag if you haven't booked a hold bag and I didn't need the hassle.

Tbh the grief and will I/wont I go over the 25 kgs is worth the peace of mind just to pay for the extra bag. :thumbs:

I have a bit of a fetish for bike bags. I think I'm up to 4 now :facepalm: All of them nice ideas and have enabled some epic trips but the hassle is always underestimated.

FUCKING PEDALS:mad::mad:

Back
Top Bottom