Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tailored suit without paying Savile Row prices?

Makes me think of Raja adverts in Private Eye :)

The only made to measure suit I ever had I got done by him. Rubbish. The fitting was in his hotel bedroom, which first thing in the morning smelled very slept in. The fitting was brief and perfunctory, and when the suit arrived he’d ignored a bunch of stuff I asked for. You had to pay the hotel reception for the suit too, which presumably had some tax benefits for him. Perhaps it went towards paying his hotel bill without it going through his books.

I think I got about a year of occasional wear from it before it fell apart.

Anyway, yes, I’ll never bother with a cheap made to measure service like that again.

The only made to measure suit I ever had I got done by him. Rubbish. The fitting was in his hotel bedroom, which first thing in the morning smelled very slept in. The fitting was brief and perfunctory, and when the suit arrived he’d ignored a bunch of stuff I asked for. You had to pay the hotel reception for the suit too, which presumably had some tax benefits for him. Perhaps it went towards paying his hotel bill without it going through his books.

I think I got about a year of occasional wear from it before it fell apart.

Anyway, yes, I’ll never bother with a cheap made to measure service like that again.
Was it at the Swallow?

My daughter’s partner is having a bespoke suit made for their wedding from these people.

He says it’s costing around £1500 for a two piece. And that they do made to measure and semi-bespoke for less

He sends me the odd update and the process and attention to detail is extraordinary, regarding pleats, buttons, cuffs etc, but more importantly like ‘which pockets to you usually carry things in’ ‘where do you tend to put on weight’.

My late dad had one suit, bespoke saville row that he bought in the 60s and wore for special occasions until he died in 2005. And he looked so fine in it.

I'd love an update on this when the suit is finished. I have the same budget and I had already given up hope on a M2M/Bespoke suit, it seemed that I couldn't get the quality I wanted for that price and would have been better off buying off-the-peg and getting it adjusted. But these guys sound promising and I'm within an easy journey of Hull. Ray of hope!

When I had to wear suits for work I tended to go to a local independent supplier that did their own brand off the peg but with the arms, legs and waist left for alterations. In nice wool these tended to fit well and come in at £300/400 and I don't think they were much worse than a made to measure for around £1000. But they were work I'm not really a suit person so appreciate the joy some people get from M2M.

I did have a made to measure outfit for work once. It was a great disappointment.

Back
Top Bottom