Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tailored suit without paying Savile Row prices?

Buddy Bradley

Pantheistic solipsist
Thinking I might treat myself to a proper fitted made-to-measure suit for once - where can I go for that without needing to spend thousands on Savile Row? Do high street suit places do a decent job?

Thinking I might treat myself to a proper fitted made-to-measure suit for once - where can I go for that without needing to spend thousands on Savile Row? Do high street suit places do a decent job?
What's your budget? What will you use it for? If it's just for court / funerals / weddings you might want to just hire. Also remember your size can change between wearings. Spymaster

I got a three piece suit for my wedding (trousers, jacket and waistcoat), a couple of years ago for £750 all in.

This was my local tailor in Bristol.

Good value I thought and almost still fits me.

What's your budget? What will you use it for? If it's just for court / funerals / weddings you might want to just hire. Also remember your size can change between wearings. Spymaster
Few hundred? It would only be for special occasions like you say, but it would be nice to have one ready to go instead of always needing to hire one.

If you are spending a lot of cash on one, you also really need to consider if moths could be a problem - if you fling a grand or two at a suit you are going to be beyond pissed off when you find it has holes in it due to moths in a year from now.

Few hundred? It would only be for special occasions like you say, but it would be nice to have one ready to go instead of always needing to hire one.

If you're looking for genuine bespoke tailoring you won't get change out of £1000 in the UK and that's going with quite modest fabrics. Prices will likely start at around £1500 and go up to inifinity. George Dyer at Threadneadleman, in Elephant and Castle gets a lot of props for quality and value for this, but he was old when I last went there and the website doesn't seem to be up any more :(

If you're just looking for a good suit that fits properly, there are many more options with M2M places that will measure you up and then put the suit together in India, Turkey, China, or elsewhere. Prices will likely start around £600/£700, and a grand should get you something with very nice fabrics.

Loads of those online, but try Suitsupply Online Store | Made in a way we're proud of and Men's Suits in London | Roderick Charles London

If you are spending a lot of cash on one, you also really need to consider if moths could be a problem - if you fling a grand or two at a suit you are going to be beyond pissed off when you find it has holes in it due to moths in a year from now.

Do moth balls still make your clothes smell strange ? I remember that the pungent Aroma of elderly relatives in the 1970s was put down to mothballs. It's not a smell I've noticed in recent years, but maybe that's because I'm old myself, now.

Do moth balls still make your clothes smell strange ? I remember that the pungent Aroma of elderly relatives in the 1970s was put down to mothballs. It's not a smell I've noticed in recent years, but maybe that's because I'm old myself, now.

I have no idea because I have a cat (have had multiple cats) and mothballs can be lethal for cats.

So if you have pets you need to consider insect deterrent and insecticide options very carefully, traditional mothballs are a complete no-no if you have cats (just the fumes from them can cause organ damage to your feline buddies) even stuff that you might think is natural and fairly innocuous might be toxic to an animal (camphor oil, lavender oil etc)

• Sad
Reactions: tim
I was going to say that it was amazing that anyone emerged from the '80s unscathed - but then I think I was fairly scathed personally and probably best not to raise that as a point.

I don't have a suit - although I did buy a suit jacket in a sale about ten years back for some reason. Never worn - presume it's still in the wardrobe somewhere.

What’s your budget?

Edit - sorry just caught up.

For a few hundred you are better off buying off the rack and going to a good alterations place. Make sure the shoulders are the right width - most other things can be adjusted.

My daughter’s partner is having a bespoke suit made for their wedding from these people.

He says it’s costing around £1500 for a two piece. And that they do made to measure and semi-bespoke for less

He sends me the odd update and the process and attention to detail is extraordinary, regarding pleats, buttons, cuffs etc, but more importantly like ‘which pockets to you usually carry things in’ ‘where do you tend to put on weight’.

My late dad had one suit, bespoke saville row that he bought in the 60s and wore for special occasions until he died in 2005. And he looked so fine in it.

if moths could be a problem

Are they ever anything else? Do they actually serve some useful purpose? I rarely hate animals -- I don't mean I'm overflowing with positive feelings about a noisy or aggressive one, but they somehow seem to be removed from the sphere of human hatred, even if, as often, it's faulty human training that has caused it. Apart from the fucking moths, who destroyed so many of my lucky clothes purchases (I seem to be an anomalous size, despite being practically the sum of average measurements, so it's not easy finding clothes that fit). I dreamt of made to measure, and there was an independent tailor in the local high street who was excellent both in talent and value for money. Then he retired just as I had steeled myself to take the plunge.

I bought a Boss suit a good few yes ago and had it finished be a local tailor. Total cost was about £600. I had it for about ten years before it finally shrank ;) so much it no longer fitted.

Why not go this route rather than a full on bespoke suit?

Back
Top Bottom