Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Superman & Lois- brand new series, BBC1

T & P

|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|
I wasn’t even aware of this being made. Even more surprised the BBC won the broadcast rights for a new superhero-themed series featuring the biggest superhero of them all.

Given its late afternoon airing time it must be pretty family friendly. Anyone checked it out yet? It seems to have fairly favourable reviews by audiences and critics alike. About to watch the first episode anyway, will report later.

I watched a couple of episodes and basically it's a teen show, with Superman's sons being the focus and I'm not the audience for this.

I watched a couple of episodes and basically it's a teen show, with Superman's sons being the focus and I'm not the audience for this.
The first two Superman films are pretty enjoyable 1980s romps, but otherwise I have never cared much for any other films or series of it. Happy to give anything related a go if it’s well written and if sufficient quality, but as we’re finishing the first episode I am in agreement with your assessment so far.

As an irrelevant aside though: not that it’s significant enough to spoil the potential enjoyment of the franchise, but for me the biggest degree of suspension of disbelief required whew watching Superman is not the concept of an alien superpower-charged baby landing in deepest USA and settling nicely. Not even the Man of Steel having an eureka moment and managing to reverse the rotation of the Earth to turn back time and save his girlfriend from her death. But the fact that simply donning a pair of glasses is sufficient a disguise for every single person who’s met Clark Kent to fail to recognise Superman’s face. At least most other superheroes wear a mask :D

The first two Superman films are pretty enjoyable 1980s romps, but otherwise I have never cared much for any other films or series of it. Happy to give anything related a go if it’s well written and if sufficient quality, but as we’re finishing the first episode I am in agreement with your assessment so far.

As an irrelevant aside though: not that it’s significant enough to spoil the potential enjoyment of the franchise, but for me the biggest degree of suspension of disbelief required whew watching Superman is not the concept of an alien superpower-charged baby landing in deepest USA and settling nicely. Not even the Man of Steel having an eureka moment and managing to reverse the rotation of the Earth to turn back time and save his girlfriend from her death. But the fact that simply donning a pair of glasses is sufficient a disguise for every single person who’s met Clark Kent to fail to recognise Superman’s face. At least most other superheroes wear a mask :D
In the comics Superman fashioned a pair of glasses from shards Kryptonian glass and that is what disguises him.

But the fact that simply donning a pair of glasses is sufficient a disguise for every single person who’s met Clark Kent to fail to recognise Superman’s face.
Including his two sons. Who have also seen Superman.

My favourite moment is when Superman in voice over tells us
one of his sons has social anxiety disorder
. Somehow they managed to time the announcement for laughs. I’m not sure how. I don’t think they meant it.

It was corny as fuck and absolutely every guess you’ll make as to where anything is going will be right.

In the comics Superman fashioned a pair of glasses from shards Kryptonian glass and that is what disguises him.
I didn’t know that. Unless I am remembering it wrong, this was not made clear in the original films though. As I said, a detail not exactly a dealbreaker in a superhero genre film regardless, anyway.

I didn’t know that. Unless I am remembering it wrong, this was not made clear in the original films though. As I said, a detail not exactly a dealbreaker in a superhero genre film regardless, anyway.
It wasn't but then you can't explain every single thing in something that is a vast mythology in the comics. The 70s films aren't the original films btw, there have been Superman serials since the 40s and feature films since the early 50s.

It wasn't but then you can't explain every single thing in something that is a vast mythology in the comics. The 70s films aren't the original films btw, there have been Superman serials since the 40s and feature films since the early 50s.
I remembering watching the old black and white George Reeves ones when I was a kid :thumbs:.

More than half way through, and I am happy to give this a recommendation now. It is certainly as good as a number of the Marvel superhero series that have appeared over the years. Certainly a great deal more watchable and entertaining than the likes of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, though admittedly the bar was not set much high there. But fast paced and bingable enough.

In any case Reno , fair enough if you don’t like the genre, but if you do on principle but the one thing putting you off from the first episode was that it seems to be all about the teenage kids and a teenage show, you should give it another chance. The kids are involved in some of the subplot, but it is mainly about Superman and serious threats and antagonists to his life- this is no teenage coming-of-age show at all, even if not R-rated either.

More than half way through, and I am happy to give this a recommendation now. It is certainly as good as a number of the Marvel superhero series that have appeared over the years. Certainly a great deal more watchable and entertaining than the likes of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, though admittedly the bar was not set much high there. But fast paced and bingable enough.

In any case Reno , fair enough if you don’t like the genre, but if you do on principle but the one thing putting you off from the first episode was that it seems to be all about the teenage kids and a teenage show, you should give it another chance. The kids are involved in some of the subplot, but it is mainly about Superman and serious threats and antagonists to his life- this is no teenage coming-of-age show at all, even if not R-rated either.
I don't mind the genre and I have written plenty on superhero movies and shows here. Glad you are enjoying it but it didn't grab me and there are a gazillion other things on my "to watch" list.

I don't mind the genre and I have written plenty on superhero movies and shows here. Glad you are enjoying it but it didn't grab me and there are a gazillion other things on my "to watch" list.
It’s alright- I was just performing my self-imposed personalised U75 film & TV review duties, as every regular poster undoubtedly expects ;)

FWIW, Tyler Hoechlin of Teen Woof fame actually makes a fairly decent Superman.

Back
Top Bottom