Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Super cheap controler for basic PC gaming

salem

I never really play games anymore. Haven't done so since I moved out and left my PS2 at home.

I quite fancy getting back into it - I have a fairly basic laptop (windows 10, 4GB ram, 2Ghz N351 processor).

Looking to play basic/older native PC games and perhaps some stuff on emulator

Any recommendations - for emulators/basic games? Games I enjoyed on my ps2 included Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto, Tomb Raider, The Getaway, Metal Gear Solid. I don't have a drive on my PC so is steam the place to go?

As for controller - I could get a knock off PS controllers for just over a fiver delivered or about the same for a knock off xbox controller. Official xbox360/ps3 controllers are around £12-15 secondhand and I understand that they can work with windows 10 with a little persuasion? I had all sorts of mental flashbacks to all the arguments over who had to use the crappy knock off controllers so just ponied up £12 and went for for an official PS3 controller.

Last edited:
I think you made the right choice with a PS3 controller. They're good enough for everything you'll use a controller for on a PC game as well as being great for SNES/PS emulation should you decide to give that a bash :)

I just got a Rock Candy Xbox 360 controller to play binding of isaac. Had a panic moment when I thought it wouldn't work, then found some advice on Tom's Hardware which stated that as Microsoft know that you're trying to use a generic xbox controller it won't allow you to automatically install the drivers! This is easily circumvented by manually choosing the drivers.

I'm now very much enjoying playing with the controller :) though not sure what other games I might use it for as I mainly like FPS style games where keyboard and mouse are clearly the superior option... Had a quick go at Race the Sun with the controller and enjoyed that - the analogue sticks really do beat buttons as they allow for variable speed movement.

I downloaded the demo of Euro Truck Simulator 2 and am surprised that a) it runs on my machine fine (albeit with slightly potato graphics) and b) how easy it all was to download and install. It all just kind of worked. Surprisingly good game but definitely will be better with analog controls!

Does the PS4 controller work with Windows 7?

I know back in the day it was a right ball ache to get a PS controller to work at all consistently under Windows. I'm thinking I might splash out on a PS4 controller if it'll work properly ahead of No Man's Sky. I've got an XBOX 360 controller that works perfectly well, but I intend to get a PS4 one day (just not for a while), so 1) it'd give me time to get used to it and 2) I'd be playing No Man's Sky with the controller layout it was intended for.

But if it doesn't work well there's no point.

12794584_10205508824261449_909662341350612719_n.jpg

That kid with the girl's hand on his shoulder just CAN'T BELIEVE how INCREDIBLE technology has BECOME that the ROBOT ALWAYS gives the RIGHT answer!!! :eek: :D

eta: We had that game/toy/thing at my nans house when I wer a lad :cool:

spoiler: Its got a magnet in it's boot that lines it up with the answers :(

Did it work? I have some questions that need answers.

Also just an update on my OP - I got the PS3 controller, it was a bit of a pain to set up but works well now it's set up (in wired mode at least) - not been free so much last week so haven't tried it on anything but Euro Truck Simulator 2 but it's a huge step up from keyboard for that!

That kid with the girl's hand on his shoulder just CAN'T BELIEVE how INCREDIBLE technology has BECOME that the ROBOT ALWAYS gives the RIGHT answer!!! :eek: :D

eta: We had that game/toy/thing at my nans house when I wer a lad :cool:

spoiler: Its got a magnet in it's boot that lines it up with the answers :(

He'd be 70 now (if he weren't a drawn figure....:facepalm:) and so he'd have seen many and many great wonders in his life....:cool:

I'm pretty sure, looking at the expression on his face, that life never quite topped THAT moment.

If so, that's very sad. I am now picturing his life as it might have been without that game - he'd have fallen passionately in love with Jeremy next door (they met as teenagers when both spending time outdoors due to lack of anything to do indoors at home) and got together, their love would last a lifetime - he had a great career as a builder, and earned a very good living doing it. He passed away peacefully at the age of 93 surrounded by his adopted kids and grandkids.

But in your alternate reality, that game was the best thing he ever had, so he never knew any other happiness - so it had damn well better be a really fucking good game!!!

The 60's are just around the corner. For many a time of exploration, love, liberation and expansion. But look at him - you just know that for him the 60's were a time of confusion and unfathomable shift. While even his sister hung out, and got down, and wore a flower in her hair, he skulked in the shadows, unable to make sense of it all, or get along with the cooler kids. By the time the seventies hit he's already jaded, pining for the simple linearity of his youth. His career flounders because the imperfect nature of machines, and subsequently computers, appalls him. He's unable to form lasting relationships because nobody lives up to the standards of awe that have been set by that magic little robot. He eventually drifts into solitude, resentfully supported by one institute or another. Towards the end of his life he makes a pathetic attempt to 'make' the game out of bits of magnet, foil, and cassette cases, but he hasn't the knowledge of polarity alignment needed to make it work. His creation tauntingly summons the WRONG answer EVERY time!!! He is found weeks later in his dorm spinning in circles, holding a weird cane he has fashioned out of takeaway cartons and chicken bones. He never speaks a coherent word ever again.

Back
Top Bottom