Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Summer of Rockets BBC 2

Shirl

European
R.I.P.
I've just finished watching this series on iPlayer. Anyone else watched or watching it?
Best thing I've watched for a while, no duff episodes and some great performances, especially Timothy Spall.
I found the plot quite believable too :hmm:

Little England meets the Cold War.

It’s rather charming. Almost farcical in places but really touching in others. It’s not perfect, but it’s the best Stephen Poliakoff for a long while.

I’d add that the female characters are not convincingly drawn, particularly the ingenue. The protagonist’s wife barely exists beyond being a plot foil, and that’s just lazily underwritten.

I found it an odd mix of engaging and dull. I liked looking at it and it did hold my interest but I didn't care about anyone in it. Finding the son just like that after years of searching really grated. And then the whole plot being called off because of a comedy show was just infuriating. I actually should at the telly "FFS IS THAT IT???"

But it was a diverting few hours.

I enjoyed this, the slow pace makes for good story telling and helped the actors do what they do best. Quite a relaxing watch, rare in today telly drama.

Finished watching this last night on Netflix with Mrs Voltz - we both felt that it was:-

Appallingly written - honestly it felt like My First TV Script
Woodenly acted
Virtually NO relatable characters (his accountant chap and the Etiquette teacher were the only two approaching believable)
Timothy Spall looked ill - like, I'm going to look up and see if he's "on the way out" ill

Finished watching this last night on Netflix with Mrs Voltz - we both felt that it was:-

Appallingly written - honestly it felt like My First TV Script
Woodenly acted
Virtually NO relatable characters (his accountant chap and the Etiquette teacher were the only two approaching believable)
Timothy Spall looked ill - like, I'm going to look up and see if he's "on the way out" ill
Spall has looked alarming since he lost weight. Which has probably made him healthier than in years, but he does look ropey.

Back
Top Bottom