Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Help Sudden Chromebook battery weirdness

ATOMIC SUPLEX

FIne for years, suddenly (I think perhaps after a software update), the battery continues to drain as if on full wack when in sleep mode . . . and when powered right down (I think).
Putting it into low power mode slows this but only because it is using less power (obvs), though not as much as you would expect from a low power mode.
I did a battery check and it says it is all tippity top.
Just for good luck I tested everything and all systems were reported as working fine.
I did a hard reboot, but it persists.

The internet doesn't seem to have any ideas.

Ugh this thread triggers me. My sodding Chromebook (which I used to love with all my heart) also has battery issues. It makes no sense. Like it can't tell if it's charged or not. If I sign in without it being plugged in it will immediately power down. I have replaced the battery as I just assumed that was the issue but actually it's weirder. I've also power washed and fresh installed and rolled back versions etc. Tried a new google account! Very frustrating.

Might just be at the end of its natural life. They don’t last more than a few years
It was working perfectly. It would last days in sleep mode and I could watch films on it all day . . . literally one day it started doing this.
It isn't going into sleep mode in sleep mode, it's canning power like I was watching a movie. I can feel the heat from it when it should be asleep.

It was working perfectly. It would last days in sleep mode and I could watch films on it all day . . . literally one day it started doing this.
It isn't going into sleep mode in sleep mode, it's canning power like I was watching a movie. I can feel the heat from it when it should be asleep.
You said it’s been working fine for years. They’re not designed to last long. I had to replace mine last year after only a few years - that just died on me IIRC

You said it’s been working fine for years. They’re not designed to last long. I had to replace mine last year after only a few years - that just died on me IIRC
Yes but it's probably not the battery is it. It is continuing to drain in sleep mode (and I think off) when it's not supposed to be. Plus the above diagnostic suggests the battery is ok. Odd that it has suddenly happened. I don't remember a software update, but the screen looks different now when it restarts.

My ancient laptop's battery failed for some reason. I got a replacement and that didn't work either -I think because the laptop still thought it had the original failed battery( :confused: ). Has worked fine for the last five years plugged into the mains though :)

Not sure that this helps.

Just looking.
Battery drains as normal . . . . it just now doesn't stop draining when it's off or in sleep. It's just like it's always on.

Just looking.
Battery drains as normal . . . . it just now doesn't stop draining when it's off or in sleep. It's just like it's always on.
Other people definitely have the same issue. I remember it coming up when I googled mine. dunno if they had a fix.

mine's less than the desktops - and can't imagine it would take more than repeatedly charging and discharging the battery.

I had that happen to the Boy's once, but I had the luxury of being able to Powerwash it without losing anything because he was 100% cloud. The Powerwash cured it.

I had the same thing ages ago and a powerwash fixed it.
I see. Thank you. The powerwash. I avoided that up until now because it seems to be the answer to every chomebook problem on line and never seems to work . . . though I would imagine when it does work the people with problems don't usually come back to say it didn't work . . so.

However, does this not delete a load of stuff? it's a factory reset right? I will have to do all my passwords and set up the split account for my daughter? Not the end of the world I suppose, just a pain.

I had that happen to the Boy's once, but I had the luxury of being able to Powerwash it without losing anything because he was 100% cloud. The Powerwash cured it.
I think I only have passwords and websites to worry about. Maybe a few saved pictures.
Probably only an hour of taking notes and moving bits around.

I see. Thank you. The powerwash. I avoided that up until now because it seems to be the answer to every chomebook problem on line and never seems to work . . . though I would imagine when it does work the people with problems don't usually come back to say it didn't work . . so.

However, does this not delete a load of stuff? it's a factory reset right? I will have to do all my passwords and set up the split account for my daughter? Not the end of the world I suppose, just a pain.
So long as your photos/docs have been stored in the cloud everything should come back about a zillion times quicker than if you attempted the same operation on a PC or MAC.

Just log back in and all your apps and data should come straight back.

I had the same thing ages ago and a powerwash fixed it.
Bum.
Doesn't seem to have worked.
Battery still drains when closed.

. . . and I don't know if I am imagining it (because I am watching but it also just seems to be draining faster in general. Diagnostics say the battery is fine.

It was literally one day and shit the next.

Bum.
Doesn't seem to have worked.
Battery still drains when closed.

. . . and I don't know if I am imagining it (because I am watching but it also just seems to be draining faster in general. Diagnostics say the battery is fine.

It was literally one day and shit the next.
If that's the case it's got to be something to do with the last update. I'm surprised a powerwash didn't fix it because that literally puts it back to the day you got it.
Can you remind me of the model number and age again?

There's always here too:

Sometimes hardware just goes tits up. It's rare, computers are a lot more reliable than they used to be, but it happens.

Last edited:
If that's the case it's got to be something to do with the last update. I'm surprised a powerwash didn't fix it because that literally puts it back to the day you got it.
Maybe it's something in the update, that is still part of the update?
. . . but if so, I don't understand why loads of people are not complaining.
Can you remind me of the model number and age again?
Just says asus chomebook on it. Is there an 'about this chomebook' like on a mac?

It was something I think you recommended to me a few years ago on another thread.

Maybe it's something in the update, that is still part of the update?
. . . but if so, I don't understand why loads of people are not complaining.

Just says asus chomebook on it. Is there an 'about this chomebook' like on a mac?

It was something I think you recommended to me a few years ago on another thread.
This is the simplest guide I could find for that:

Back
Top Bottom