Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sticky Return key post-spill on Macbook Air 2021

Favelado

J'adore South Shore
Hi,

About 8 days ago I spilt a bit of beer on the keyboard of my Macbook Air. Now the return key is sticky. It loosens up after a few minutes of typing, but that isn't really good enough. I have an appointment at the Apple store next Friday, but I am worried that they will charge me a fortune just to repair one key, and money is tight for me.

On the other hand, I have seen videos on Youtube that say I can just buy a bit of 70% alcohol and a little plastic implement and take the key off myself. However, there are a couple of things that worry me there. The first is that I could break the key completely if I don't take it off properly, and the send is that my keyboard is Spanish, and it has a non-rectangular Return key. The videos I've seen all seem to say that it's the bottom-left corner where you prise the key off, but my key is a totally different shape, so I don't know if I would do it at the bottom or the top of the key.

1. Is it safe for me to try?

2. Any ideas what Apple will charge (I think it just needs a little clean under the one key)?

3. Can I just go to a third-party shop and they can sort it out for a few quid?

tempImageGDJTQT.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

About 8 days ago I spilt a bit of beer on the keyboard of my Macbook Air. Now the return key is sticky. It loosens up after a few minutes of typing, but that isn't really good enough. I have an appointment at the Apple store next Friday, but I am worried that they will charge me a fortune just to repair one key, and money is tight for me.

On the other hand, I have seen videos on Youtube that say I can just buy a bit of 70% alcohol and a little plastic implement and take the key off myself. However, there are a couple of things that worry me there. The first is that I could break the key completely if I don't take it off properly, and the send is that my keyboard is Spanish, and it has a non-rectangular Return key. The videos I've seen all seem to say that it's the bottom-left corner where you prise the key off, but my key is a totally different shape, so I don't know if I would do it at the bottom or the top of the key.

1. Is it safe for me to try?

2. Any ideas what Apple will charge (I think it just needs a little clean under the one key)?

3. Can I just go to a third-party shop and they can sort it out for a few quid?

View attachment 314130

Thanks in advance.
To be honest I'd be tempted to start with just some isopropanol and a cotton bud. The stronger the alcahol the better you should be able to get some 99% on amazon

How old is it? They had all sorts of problems with the “butterfly” keyboards they ditched the design…I’d tell them the carriage return is the worst, not admit to the spill, and demand they replace the whole keyboard for free

Reference:

“ Apple has determined that a small percentage of the keyboards in certain MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models may exhibit one or more of the following behaviors:

Letters or characters repeat unexpectedly

Letters or characters do not appear

Key(s) feel "sticky" or do not respond in a consistent manner”

Mine is post-Butterfly keyboard. It’s a 2020 - 21 Macbook Air
Oh dear..sounds like it will be expensive..I hear the ones with the new chip are nice ;)

It’s probably an easy job…here the repairs I’ve had done at the authorised Mac repairers have been reasonable

It’s just one sticky key. Can’t an independent place take it off, give it a clean, stick it on and charge me 30 quid?

Back
Top Bottom