Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Air tags, tiles, gps tracking

How do the ones that aren't made by apple work without the network of iPhones?
Not as well would be the answer. Apple's got a massive advantage in the marketplace due to Android's fragmented nature.
You're often stuck with the last location that your own phone located the tag at. Which is great if you forgot where you put your keys, not so great if someone's walked off with them in the meantime.
The best Tile et.al. can do is try to use other people who have that app installed, but that's a tiny number compared to every iPhone on earth.

Got an airtag for the cat but can't link it to the borrowed i phone for some reason, the airtag was linked to a different i phone but not been able to sort it out
the android air tag scanner is not very reliable

Not as well would be the answer. Apple's got a massive advantage in the marketplace due to Android's fragmented nature.
You're often stuck with the last location that your own phone located the tag at. Which is great if you forgot where you put your keys, not so great if someone's walked off with them in the meantime.
The best Tile et.al. can do is try to use other people who have that app installed, but that's a tiny number compared to every iPhone on earth.

That's as suspected, makes sense. Thanks. :)

Why would I want to help people avoid the consequences of their own stupidity? That's just enabling them to continue failing at trivial tasks without ever learning anything. It'd actually be more cruel to help them, in the long run.

Blimey, fuck people who are ADHD then, says you.
It's OK, it's just stupidity. :rolleyes:

I was looking into getting an android type tag version for OH to put on his keys, stick to the back of the remote, and any other thing he loses regularly.

BTW. I am a bit pissed off because I came up with the idea long before bluetooth existed that you could potentially have small flash drive sized circuit board with a receiver and a tiny speaker and an adhesive pad whereby you could dial a number it was programmed to receive and it would make beeping noises helping you to find the thing you'd attached it to. Or that your ADHD spouse had attached them to.

Blimey, fuck people who are ADHD then, says you.
It's OK, it's just stupidity. :rolleyes:

Not everything I post is entirely serious.

I mean iphone users are happy to tell the Chinese government everything they do and everywhere they go, so there's no reason they should have a problem with helping people find their keys.

I mean iphone users are happy to tell the Chinese government everything they do and everywhere they go, so there's no reason they should have a problem with helping people find their keys.

Another joke post I presume. As you can criticise Apple for many things but they do take user privacy quite seriously. and all those android phones, guess where they are made to.

I tell the Chinese every day not to take you seriously

Bumping this thread to ask:
  • what battery do the tile pro tags use? Not indicated on their website.
  • anyone used an AirTag for keeping track of elderly relatives keys/elderly relative? Considering getting one for mother in law ( with consent!) and linking to my wife’s iPad ( we have android phones). Would link to mother in laws iPad but it’s not a modern iOS so that wouldn’t work. Any thoughts? We live 5 miles away - would apple notice the devices live apart?

• anyone used an AirTag for keeping track of elderly relatives keys/elderly relative? Considering getting one for mother in law ( with consent!) and linking to my wife’s iPad ( we have android phones). Would link to mother in laws iPad but it’s not a modern iOS so that wouldn’t work. Any thoughts? We live 5 miles away - would apple notice the devices live apart?
No idea about protags but airtags use good old CR2032's and they are very easy to replace. Air Tags don't live anywhere they don't have a home location so it would plot where it was in reference to your wife's iPad. Bear in mind you would rely on your MiL regularly getting close to someone with an iPhone/iPad so her location could be reported.

Air Tags don't live anywhere they don't have a home location so it would plot where it was in reference to your wife's iPad
I’m attracted to the unusual for apple feature of having cheap replacement batteries…

‘Shortly after it released the AirTag, Apple pushed a firmware update to improve its safety measures. When an AirTag isn’t in range of the person who registered it for an extended period or it is traveling with an unregistered person, it will begin to chirp. The exact length of time before you hear the first alert varies, but it's between 8 and 24 hours”
From AirTag vs. Tile: Which Bluetooth Tracker Should You Choose?. Mil is deaf but a chirping tag would annoy visitors/carers!

This?

Also, Apple's AirTags can't use all/any CR2032 battery - summat about what the battery is coated in :confused: dunno if this is an issue with Tile tags too

I’m attracted to the unusual for apple feature of having cheap replacement batteries…

‘Shortly after it released the AirTag, Apple pushed a firmware update to improve its safety measures. When an AirTag isn’t in range of the person who registered it for an extended period or it is traveling with an unregistered person, it will begin to chirp. The exact length of time before you hear the first alert varies, but it's between 8 and 24 hours”
From AirTag vs. Tile: Which Bluetooth Tracker Should You Choose?. Mil is deaf but a chirping tag would annoy visitors/carers!
Yes they do but they don't chirp ceaselessly, they chirp when their position changes and it doesn't affect them functioning though. If it was in her bag in the hallway then it wouldn't chirp unless someone moved the bag.

This?

Also, Apple's AirTags can't use all/any CR2032 battery - summat about what the battery is coated in :confused: dunno if this is an issue with Tile tags too
Many thanks for that info about tile pro batteries…I don’t know why they didn’t include in faq’s.
I gave a bog standard battery to son’s partner and it seemed to work in her air tag.

Many thanks for that info about tile pro batteries…I don’t know why they didn’t include in faq’s.
I gave a bog standard battery to son’s partner and it seemed to work in her air tag.

I searched on it after I replied and found that some cell batteries are covered in a bitter substance to stop kids ingesting them.

But some of these won't work in AirTags :rolleyes:

1722282698496.png

Back
Top Bottom