Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Steve Mclaren - shite/not shite

So is the rubbery faced one

• Total voters

tangerinedream

Density of Sound
Is it me, or is Steve Maclaren the most over-rated individual in English football? He has loads of money to spend and he seems to buy a load of old has-beens and the only decent young player I can think of he has produced is Stuart Downing.

Why is he linked with the England job? He's made Boro into, er, a mid table side from being, er, a mid table side and spent hideous amounts doing it. What exactly has he achieved?

We outplayed Boro in the cup on Saturday with a side that cost a fraction of theirs.
McLaren in the England job? They can stick David James in goal while they're at it...
:) :confused: :eek:

He's the favourite (or at least was last time I checked) for the England job because of his ties with the current regime, not because of his managerial ability. Hell, at this rate he might not even have a job with Boro at the end of the year. In his defence, despite the vast amount of money he's thrown at ageing and fat players, he has improved Boro's league position every year he's been there (doubt that'll be true by the end of this season) and didn't he win the mickey mouse cup? That's better than nothing. I wish Charlton had won that.

He's not overrated at all, because it's so rare that he's even rated, even most Boro fans hope he goes to England because they think that will solve some problems at the Riverside.

He was an excellent number 2 at Old Trafford by all accounts and was there when Utd won the Treble. However a good number 2 (chortle) doesn't often make a good manager.

mind you, Boro seems to be the place where good players go to become very ordinary ones

Brilliant coach, and I mean fucking brilliant, our slide into obscurity coincided with his move to Man U (that and Smith selling Asanovic, Stimac, Wanchope, Chris Powell...).

As a manager, okay, moribund football though.

tangerinedream said:
Is it me, or is Steve Maclaren the most over-rated individual in English football? He has loads of money to spend and he seems to buy a load of old has-beens and the only decent young player I can think of he has produced is Stuart Downing.

Why is he linked with the England job? He's made Boro into, er, a mid table side from being, er, a mid table side and spent hideous amounts doing it. What exactly has he achieved?

He's been there about 4 years and you hold him responsible for the youth policy. True Middlesbro are mid table and for the best part of last century you were mid table - but in a different league. The one you will return to as soon as Gibson gets tired of pouring money into a town full of moaning bastards.

Joe Reilly said:
He's been there about 4 years and you hold him responsible for the youth policy. True Middlesbro are mid table and for the best part of last century you were mid table - but in a different league. The one you will return to as soon as Gibson gets tired of pouring money into a town full of moaning bastards.

Er, mate - I don't support Middlesbro. I have never ever been there in my life. I am not moaning, just stating an opinion. The success or otherwise of Middlesbro is really the least of my concerns. Just think he's a bit shite. :confused:

Unlike the manager of the team I do support.

http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=148915
0,,10432~2790681,00.jpg

tangerinedream said:

the only bit i would disagree with is the 'old of old hasbeens'. some of the guys in his squad are top drawer players - the fact that he can't get a game out of them undermines him further.

Middlesbrough has and always will be a refuge for the unwanted, disturbed and overpaid

That is why the town its self is full fo drugged up baby punching granny rapers

AGN said:
Middlesbrough has and always will be a refuge for the unwanted, disturbed and overpaid

That is why the town its self is full fo drugged up baby punching granny rapers
Banned already, well, at least he was a hoot in his time here.

And three months on....

I suppose he'll be ok. Used to working with top players and such. Should clearly have been Steve Tilson as any fool should know. Still think both Allardyce and Curbishley actually deserve the job more than him based on their achievements as managers.

Before any fuckwit starts going 'yes but what have they won he's in the Uefa cup final', I would qualify what I say above with the fact I think he'd probably do a better job than Allardyce, but deserves it less. Hey, who cares...

I say in terms of England manager - not shite.

He's English. He's succesful. He's been groomed for the job.

But if you said Steve McLaren - new Liverpool manager - I'd be :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :( :eek:

tangerinedream said:
Before any fuckwit starts going 'yes but what have they won he's in the Uefa cup final',

thats not really an argument anyway
mangers at clubs like charlton just dont have the resources to compete with the big boys in cpometitions like the FA cup and prem.
ok, you can say in the cup anything can happen
but by and large the better team wins

assessing what they've done, rather than what they've won is more appropriate
look at curbishley for example
took a club from near-extinction to the top half of the premiership

credit to mclaren now
he's not done too badly getting his side to the UEFA cup final

people may say 'look at their awful league form'
but they've played 15? more games than most other teams in the league because of the cup run almost 1.5 times as many games as most of their rivals

cant remember where i was going with this rant
so ill stop :oops:

Red Faction said:
thats not really an argument anyway
mangers at clubs like charlton just dont have the resources to compete with the big boys in cpometitions like the FA cup and prem.
ok, you can say in the cup anything can happen
but by and large the better team wins

assessing what they've done, rather than what they've won is more appropriate
look at curbishley for example
took a club from near-extinction to the top half of the premiership

credit to mclaren now
he's not done too badly getting his side to the UEFA cup final

but they've played 15? more games than most other teams in the league because of the cup run almost 1.5 times as many games as most of their rivals

That's what I'm saying - it irritates me when people go aaaaah, Allardyce hasn't won the European Cup has he now, he can't be as good as Mourinho. Obviosly he hasn't won anything, but he has never ever taken a side any other way than upwards (well apart from when he went down to go up at Notts County) For the first time in ages Bolton are an established prem,iership side who are dissapointed not to be in Europe. Not bad that.
I am saying the same as you about Curbishly too - I think both him and Allardyce have actually done more than Maclaren for what it's worth. Maclaren has had a lot of money and players like Hasselbank, Viduka, Southgate et al havn't been cheap. not to mention Maccarone.

The FA are a bunch of wimps, i refer back to when Brian Clough was set for the job and they turned him down

"They thought I was going to change it lock, stock and barrel. They were shrewd because that's exactly what I would have done" - on why he was rejected by the FA for the England job

McClaren is someone they can control.

Allardyce and Curbishly, i bet the FA shit themselves at the thought

On the Clough tip, I really really really really want Stuart Pearce for the job in a few years. If he's anything like his former boss then bye-bye to the primadonna atmosphere of the England dressing room.

Whoever got the job was going to have their life made hell by the cunts in the tabloids. It'll take a strong man to tell them to go jump off a fucking cliff.

Relahni said:
I say in terms of England manager - not shite.

He's English. He's succesful. He's been groomed for the job.

But if you said Steve McLaren - new Liverpool manager - I'd be :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :( :eek:

Ahh the sweet smell of success.

Chelsea 37 91
Man Utd 37 80
Liverpool 37 79
Tottenham 37 65
Arsenal 37 64
Blackburn 37 60
Newcastle 37 55
Bolton 37 53
West Ham 37 52
Wigan 37 51
Everton 37 49
Charlton 37 47
M'brough 37 45
Fulham 37 45
Man City 37 43
Aston Villa 37 39
Portsmouth 37 38
Birmingham 37 34
West Brom 37 29
Sunderland 37 15

Sunray said:
Ahh the sweet smell of success.

Chelsea 37 91
Man Utd 37 80
Liverpool 37 79
Tottenham 37 65
Arsenal 37 64
Blackburn 37 60
Newcastle 37 55
Bolton 37 53
West Ham 37 52
Wigan 37 51
Everton 37 49
Charlton 37 47
M'brough 37 45
Fulham 37 45
Man City 37 43
Aston Villa 37 39
Portsmouth 37 38
Birmingham 37 34
West Brom 37 29
Sunderland 37 15

see how his rivals for the job compared

Bit Early

Not that i'm particularly interested but.......he will be shite if england performances are piss poor, and he will be a god if the team performs well,thats football, so making snap judgements at this stage is just stoopid, he got his team to the Uefa cup final, he will undoubtebly have a better pool of players with the England squad, (though you lot seem to have chucked the towel in cos rooneys got a broken toe! You could never make it as Scotland supporters! ) so i guess its wait and see.

Red Faction said:

I nearly had a fit then - totally misread that as ". . . they've played 157 games more than most other teams . . ." !!!

I know a few Boro fans and as anal as it sounds to me (Carlisle in a UEFA Final?!) they are happy to see him go.

His apparant tactical genius? 2-1 down and needing more goals...2 strikers on the bench...hmmm, what do you do...Its hardly taxing is it? A 4 year old would have done that!

But, either way, might as well get behind him

Though in terms of any football club or country I've always been a fan of the 'total clearout' system. McClaren is a bit too much of the old regime...McClaren will gives us Downing...Allardyce would have given us Nolan...and Curbs would have given us Bent

probably

JKKne said:
His apparant tactical genius? 2-1 down and needing more goals...2 strikers on the bench...hmmm, what do you do...Its hardly taxing is it? A 4 year old would have done that!

I can think of a few managers who wouldn't - too frightened of giving away a third goal.

boro weren't a mid table side when he took over. they'd been relegated and then promoted a couple of times in the previous few years.

he came in after they called in terry venables to help bryan robson stop them getting relegated.

since then he's got them into europe, won them their first trophy and got them into the UEFA cup final.

the youth team has produced downing, morrison, parnaby, cattermole etc etc

he has also had fucking terrible injuries the past two seasons.

so it's not all bleak eh?

Better hope we win it under sven, coz we've now lost the next four years.

Same as under taylor, keegan, hoddle...

England fans fucked over again. Media have their english man. All is as it should be.

Jesus christ, how did we fans ever deserve this serial murder of our aspirations? Who is this FA??

Unless sven wins it for us (and i believe he will, he's a sacked manager in charge of us) i'm going to be an old man before we win this cup. Maybe in my grave.

tommers said:
boro weren't a mid table side when he took over. they'd been relegated and then promoted a couple of times in the previous few years.

he came in after they called in terry venables to help bryan robson stop them getting relegated.

since then he's got them into europe, won them their first trophy and got them into the UEFA cup final.

the youth team has produced downing, morrison, parnaby, cattermole etc etc

he has also had fucking terrible injuries the past two seasons.

so it's not all bleak eh?

From where I am standing it looks like he was the only person they had left.

Thats hardly the recipe for success is it?

h

Back
Top Bottom