Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Steam powered narrow gauge Ffestiniog Railway and Blaenau Ffestiniog

editor

hiraethified
I had a splendid day walking about the slate-laded town of Blaenau Ffestiniog and taking a trip on the Ffestiniog Railway. Anyone else been?

Here's some pics:

blaenau-ffestiniog-steam-railway-01.jpg

blaenau-ffestiniog-steam-railway-09.jpg

blaenau-ffestiniog-steam-railway-15.jpg

blaenau-ffestiniog-steam-railway-17.jpg

In photos: Blaenau Ffestiniog and a narrow gauge steam journey to Tan-y-Bwlch in Snowdonia, Aug 2018

Not ridden it, but it stops at the car park at the foot of the Rhyd Ddu path up Snowden and we had to wait for it to pass as we went up and again as we came down, which was quite neat timing :)

I went on this a few years ago when staying in Betwys-y-Coed. I’m not particularly a train person but it was excellent - the carriages are tiny but that’s good because it goes through some stunning landscapes and you’re closer to them.

We went on this a year or two back when we were on holiday in Pwllheli. It's a beautiful way to spend a day.

Was a regular on this growing up. Had a special "locals" discount too.
Santa train was always fun, but as a teenagee with zero interest in steam trains it was just a fancy way of getting to Cob Records in Porthmadog for a quick shop whilst my Mum, Dad and brothers looked at trains and stuff....

Santa train was always fun, but as a teenagee with zero interest in steam trains it was just a fancy way of getting to Cob Records in Porthmadog for a quick shop whilst my Mum, Dad and brothers looked at trains and stuff....[/QUOTE

Legendary place "Cob Records" , is it still there ?

I've had that day out too. Many years ago. Those North Wales narrow gauge railways are the most marvelous engineering, love 'em. Beautiful rugged mountains Snowdonia.

I think they did originally plan a diversion route for the line, but never went ahead as not worthwhile. Maybe in the distant future the Llangollen railway will get all the way to festiniog and build a diversion here :)

Back
Top Bottom