Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

St Ives railway station: then and now

madzone said:
Wouldn't be too sure about the 'secure future' though.
I haven't heard any recent closure proposals and the park and ride scheme seems well supported. What have you heard?

There was a bit of a flurry about certain branch lines back around March. It's never certain whether they're going to shut down certain lines despite the fact that in the Summer months the St Erth/ St Ives branch line is incredibly popular.

madzone said:
There was a bit of a flurry about certain branch lines back around March.
Politically, I reckon it would be a really tough one to close now - but even if they did I imagine it would be snapped up by a railway preservation company immediately and re-opened. It's one of the prettiest lines in the UK and one of my favourite rides.

editor said:
You guys know I love doing 'Then and Now' photos, and when I discovered that a 1959 image was an exact match for a contemporary shot I'd taken, I had to get lining them up and researchin'!

A book I'm sure you'd love is Stewart Brand's How Buildings Learn.

It's full of things like this and is one of my favourite books on architecture, and more generally, design.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss...words=how+buildings+learn&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

These notes are interesting:

http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2004/10/24/how_buildings_le.php

untethered said:
A book I'm sure you'd love is Stewart Brand's How Buildings Learn.
Based entirely on your recommendation (and seeing it used for £11), I've ordered the thing. It had better be good! :D

editor said:
Based entirely on your recommendation (and seeing it used for £11), I've ordered the thing. It had better be good! :D

It's a bargain at twice the price.

Even with the best will in the world, it's easy to fall into the trap of seeing design as a fixed one-off process rather than a longitudinal adaptive one when confronted with a builiding or place. It's a good introduction to some of Christopher Alexander's ideas, too.

editor said:
Politically, I reckon it would be a really tough one to close now - but even if they did I imagine it would be snapped up by a railway preservation company immediately and re-opened. It's one of the prettiest lines in the UK and one of my favourite rides.
Well, now our paper is owned by ANM I reckon they just like to publish these stories to get the locals fired up :D

There was talk of putting steam trains on that line which, environmental issues aside, would have benn beautiful.

keicar said:
Parking in St Ives is a nightmare in the summer, so that alone should help to keep the line open.
They don't push that at all :confused: I'm surprised anyone ever finds out about it.

I absolutely adore historical comparison shots like that, and that one was really special. It relates the domination of the car, yet each individual house remains after all that time, it's a cracker for deeper meaning. It's a lovely bit of work, you should be dead proud Editor.

Actually, just to be ultra picky - where did you get the info that fish was landed on Porthminster?

Back
Top Bottom