Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Songs about/that mention films

This may be cheating a bit but Bryan Ferry's "In the mood for love" is the soundtrack for the trailer for the said film.
The track was only used in the trailer but aren't trailers a little world in themselves ? It's a timeless film I always recommend.

There are lots of films titled after songs, almost warrants it's own thread.

Like the REM one you just posted :p

None of the band had ever seen the film
Doesn't matter, REM still named the song after the film because they liked the title. I don't see the OP specifying that the musicians had to have seen the film. And how can the film be named after the song, it's was made decades before and is based on a book from the 30s ?

Doesn't matter, REM still named the song after the film because they liked the title. I don't see the OP specifying that the musicians had to have seen the film. And how can the film be named after the song, it's was made decades before and is based on a book from the 30s ?
Cos having the same title isn’t mentioning or being about the film.

Cos having the same title isn’t mentioning or being about the film.
The Wikipedia entries for both the song and the 1959 version of the film specify that the song is named after the film, good enough for me. Can we leave it here ? I have no time for your bullshit today.

I beg your pardon, you said films titled after songs, not vv. Still, the song imitation of life has fuck all to do with the film, beyond a title.

I beg your pardon, you said films titled after songs, not vv. Still, the song imitation of life has fuck all to do with the film, beyond a title.
You may want to do some soul searching what your obsession with getting one over on me is all about. It doesn't look good from where I'm sitting.

You may want to do some soul searching what your obsession with getting one over on me is all about. It doesn't look good from where I'm sitting.
I’m a pedantic twat with loads of people, don’t think it’s all about you.

Shit, now I'm thinking of some work of fiction that mentions the title imitation of life, like maybe a character in a book or something sees that title and thinks about it. I don't know if the fictional character I'm thinking of has actually seen the film though, or heard the REM song?

Thinking about another song that I would have argued about no matter who raised it (Iron Maiden's A Matter of Life & Death - which it turns out is just the name of the album anyway, not a song, tho there are several contenders on there) here is one that does relate to said film:

I played it for years without realising the connection. It was only when I found that it was retitled Michael Powell in the US (presumably cos yanks wouldn't know who the fuck the Mitford Sisters were) that I paid proper attention to the middle eight and realised it was AMOLAD he was singing about (loosely).

This is an obscure reference, but the Mike mentioned in the song is Nany Sinatra's character "Mike" from the Roger Corman biker movie Wild Angels. If you don't know that, then it appears to be a gay love song, Stephin Merritt no doubt was playing with that ambiguity. According to the album notes, Merritt was imagining Lee Hazlewood serenading Sinatra as the Mike from that movie.

Only if you can find a film in which a lead character fell and lay dead amongst the firework display
I don't know the plots of that many French films. I suppose that's the disadvantage of not speaking a second language.

I don't know the plots of that many French films. I suppose that's the disadvantage of not speaking a second language.
true. if only you knew polish i'm sure you could find a expert on french movie plots in warzaw, krakow or even gdansk who would gladly help you identify the firework scene.

Back
Top Bottom