Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Some questions re articles on the plane.

Sasaferrato

Super Refuser!
We are off to Turkey a week tomorrow.

I have a little video camera that I'm taking, one of the tiny Vivitar ones a DVR 908MFD. It takes three AAA batteries. I'm planning on taking two packs of ten Duracell Industrial. Do they have to be in hand baggage, or can I put them in my case?

We will be taking a laptop, does that need to be in hand luggage?

Two Kindles and a Chromebook will also be going, is the Chromebook OK in the case, or will it need to be in hand luggage?

All fine, all of that electronic stuff being banned was scrapped a long time ago. Just make sure everything is charged as you'll need to turn them on to show security. Don't know about the batteries though.

I believe the airlines get a bit frowny faced about lithium-ion batteries going in the hold, given their propensity for spontaneous combustion...

Regular AAA's should be fine in the hold, so long as they're not Li-ion.

If I were you I wouldn't be sticking laptops & kindles et al in the hold in the first place, too many sticky fingers...

I believe the airlines get a bit frowny faced about lithium-ion batteries going in the hold, given their propensity for spontaneous combustion...

Regular AAA's should be fine in the hold, so long as they're not Li-ion.

If I were you I wouldn't be sticking laptops & kindles et al in the hold in the first place, too many sticky fingers...
yeh the essentials and electronics always stay with me

If it’s expensive/electrical I carry on as cabin luggage

I carry lots of AA and AAA batteries. I just put them in my hold luggage

I put them in these

Storacell AAA Battery Case

No requirement to, it just means they are all together and not rattling around

Just make sure the batteries can not short in any manner. In other words pack them properly, tightly, caps insulated/isolated, preferably in the vendor's packaging they were shipped in.

PS I never put electronics or any items of value in checked luggage (though to be honest I rarely travel with checked luggage; it's a recipe for carrying too much and wasting even more resources).

Just make sure the batteries can not short in any manner. In other words pack them properly, tightly, caps insulated/isolated, preferably in the vendor's packaging they were shipped in.

PS I never put electronics or any items of value in checked luggage (though to be honest I rarely travel with checked luggage; it's a recipe for carrying too much and wasting even more resources).

Thanks all.

The batteries are in sealed boxes of 10, as they arrived.

I'll take the electrical stuff in hand luggage.

We are away for a fortnight, so need hold bags.

We are off to Turkey a week tomorrow.

I have a little video camera that I'm taking, one of the tiny Vivitar ones a DVR 908MFD. It takes three AAA batteries. I'm planning on taking two packs of ten Duracell Industrial. Do they have to be in hand baggage, or can I put them in my case?

We will be taking a laptop, does that need to be in hand luggage?

Two Kindles and a Chromebook will also be going, is the Chromebook OK in the case, or will it need to be in hand luggage?
Make sure that whatever electricals you take as hand luggage are charged and working. You may be asked to turn them on to prove they are genuine tech items.

The 100ml liquid thing is pure farce.
What is the point of it?
There can't be one.
Can anyone justify it?
Introduced post shoe bomber twat iirc

They wouldn't even let me past security the other day unless all my little liquids could fit in one of their tiny standard issue plastic bags. The bag nazi took issue with my slightly larger than normal transparent plastic bag. Even though all the liquids were well under 100ml inside.

Yet I've left entire large bottles of sunscreen in my luggage without realizing and it's gone through anyway.

Load of bollocks.

What is the point of it?
There can't be one.
Can anyone justify it?
I flew in and out of 6 or seven European cities last year with exactly the same liquids. It wasn't until I was coming home from Bulgaria that the guy checking the liquids bag noticed that my hair paste was in a 200ml tin and nicked it off me. The same tin had been in and out of France, Germany, Spain, and here, without anyone noticing.

Last edited:
Got a cream in a see through perspex casing. Cream nearly run out, barely 10ml in there
Original case was 150 ml so confiscated.
Bullshit

That aside so you can bring 10x100ml containers on board but not 1x150?

Also having come through 10 security gates scan your boarding pass at whsmiths to buy an overpriced sandwich, just in case you've broken in to the airport to do so?

Also having come through 10 security gates scan your boarding pass at whsmiths to buy an overpriced sandwich, just in case you've broken in to the airport to do so?
The reason they do that is even more annoying than you’d think.

Non-duty free shops airside scan your boarding pass because if you are leaving the EU, they can claim the VAT back. Of course they don’t pass this on to the customers

The most awkward, rude and petty security people I've ever dealt with are at Edinburgh airport. Every single time they'll query my stuff, and always do secondary search on me. It never happens anywhere else, but every single time without fail in Edinburgh.

Although Liverpool is a very close second, so I don't fly there anymore.

Got a cream in a see through perspex casing. Cream nearly run out, barely 10ml in there
Original case was 150 ml so confiscated.
Bullshit

That aside so you can bring 10x100ml containers on board but not 1x150?

They told me everything has to be able to fit in one regulation size small transparent plastic bag when I was last stopped. So you probably wouldn't be able to take 10 x 100ml bottles, but you could in theory take 10 x 20ml bottles as long as they all fit.

What is the point of it?
There can't be one.
Can anyone justify it?
As with most of these measures, they're not there to stop terrorists, they're there to show that measures are in place to stop terrorists. If they were determined to stop all terrorists, all travellers would be strip searched & x-rayed, all luggage would be sent separately on a cargo flight & all passengers would be kept in a cage, like in ConAir. But that's a tad infeasible in the real world. So there's no point in trying to rationalise these things - they do what they can do, ostensibly to stop the baddies, but mainly for reasons of indemnity. It's less about keeping us safe, and more about keeping them safe from accusations of negligence.

Could probably cause a fair bit of alarm, but no real threat with some vegetable glycerin and some potassium permanganate I guess.

Only time I got stopped with more than 100ml of sunscreen they punished me by making me wait 15 minutes before commencing swabbing my bag, they had a premiership footballer wait with me, forget who he was, not a major star, but we both had to serve 15 minutes’ hard time for our crimes.

You mean you really like your new Macbook Air?

I resent the insinuation that I would be caught dead with any Apple product.

I did steal the laptop, you're right about that, but I immediately destroyed it in a controlled explosion so as to cleanse the earth of its hipsterish foulness.

I have heard similar in respect of other electronic devices, the fruit was the first to hand.
fwiw, I won't have any of their products either.

Back
Top Bottom