Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

solo European City break

kazza007

Bunned
Contemplating a few nights city break alone in spring now I'm single. Never travelled solo. Somewhere to wander around a take in my surroundings. Any recs? (Been to Paris/berlin/barca/Rome/Lisbon/budapest in recent years as city breaks).

Was thinking Brussels? !

Thanks in advance

Krakow, Tallinn (in summer when the days are endless :)) and Madrid would be my choices. Lots to see in each city, Krakow and Tallinn are small enough to wander aimlessly and happily around. Madrid is excellent for art and relaxation (tapas and rioja :thumbs:)

Although I have never travelled to them as a single traveller I have wandered around them on my own while Mr.QofG's was off doing other stuff!

Only place I've travelled single is Istanbul which was amazing :)

Madrid sounds a good possibility.

I've heard Brussels, is, er lacking in stuff to see? Bruges is supposed to be better?

I want to wander around for hours and look at buildings and touristy attractions and maybe some galleries.

I won't be there for long so would eat at street stalls and cafęs

Go do something productive? When I was at a loss last year, I went to Lanzarote and learned to sail.
I'm not really at a loss, just have a couple days spare and fancy walking around an unfamiliar city, so don't have the time to learn to sail in February in a couple days :D

Riga is great, there's a good national museum there and some really nice bars and the markets in the old zeppelin hangers are amazing

I also love Copenhagen, easy to travel around, more affordable that people make out (similar to London except the alcohol) and if you get time do a day trip out to Helsingborg which is cool.

Contemplating a few nights city break alone in spring now I'm single. Never travelled solo. Somewhere to wander around a take in my surroundings. Any recs? (Been to Paris/berlin/barca/Rome/Lisbon/budapest in recent years as city breaks).

Was thinking Brussels? !

Thanks in advance

Do you have a willy or a fanny (or neither or both or something else)?

Contemplating a few nights city break alone in spring now I'm single. Never travelled solo. Somewhere to wander around a take in my surroundings. Any recs? <snip>
No recommendations, just wanted to say that I deeply envy you and am sure you'll have a great time.

Try Porto. It's a great, and cheap, place to wander around. Lots to do and places nearby to visit.

What about Malaga? It's another place with lots to do without breaking the bank.

It is but probably struggling to squeeze more than a days worth out of it though

Really? I spent a few days there alone and liked it a lot. Depends what kazza is after really. I live in Istanbul and love it but it's a bit far/flights are a big much/it's a bit overwhelming for me to suggest it as a good place for a few days abroad on your own. It deserves more than that :)

Porto is about right for a few days wandering. Not much in the way of 'sights' or big museums, but you could happily meander around for ages without getting bored. Lots of little galleries & things, pretty streets, derelict (still pretty) bits, the river, Port lodges etc. Very friendly place.
I could happily live there. But don't go if you're not keen on hills. I can't stress that enough.

Once you've got your list of possibles, have a look online and see if any of them have anything good going on during the time you're planning on going, and pick that one. Like, a local festival or awesome gallery installation or something that wouldn't ordinarily be there at any other time of the year.

Porto is about right for a few days wandering. Not much in the way of 'sights' or big museums, but you could happily meander around for ages without getting bored. Lots of little galleries & things, pretty streets, derelict (still pretty) bits, the river, Port lodges etc. Very friendly place.
I could happily live there. But don't go if you're not keen on hills. I can't stress that enough.
I did live there, for about 5 years. It's a wonderful place. I sometimes wish I'd not left.

The Electrico is great for getting about, as is the Metro. Depending on when you go there is the Festa do Mar in Matosinhos when the restaurants serve wonderful fresh fish. There's the Festa da Francescinhas for, well, francescinhas. But steer clear of eating in Praca de Ribeira where the prices go up for tourists. It was the worst place for doing this in Porto.

Or come to Seville.

Riga is great, there's a good national museum there and some really nice bars and the markets in the old zeppelin hangers are amazing

I also love Copenhagen, easy to travel around, more affordable that people make out (similar to London except the alcohol) and if you get time do a day trip out to Helsingborg which is cool.
+1 for CPH, I enjoyed it during the winter with lots of glogg and cute cafes although the days really are short.

Back
Top Bottom