Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Solidarity Actions With Grenfell Residents

Wilf

Slouching towards Billingham
There's the discussion thread in UK Politics, this one is to publicise events, groups, actions - electronic and real world. To start things off, there's a facebook public group, Solidarity With Resident of Grenfell Tower:
Solidarity with residents of Grenfell tower
They've already got some bits and pieces under Events

There's also a Day of Rage, planned for the state opening of parliament on Weds 21st June, though all I can see at the moment are hysterical right wing media stories, so I won't link to them. But if someone has anything more concrete, post it up.

And this is what seems like a legit justgiving page for donations (it was circulated by my union)
Help raise £2000000 to Help the families of Grenfell Tower, West London who have been devastated by a fire which has destroyed their homes and taken loved ones.

1. Remember the usual common sense stuff about not posting anything that could get you/urban in trouble
2. Truthers - please don't
3. If I or anyone else posts anything that's wrong or needs updating, post that up too.

McAdie and Reeve in Orkney(removal company) are collecting items to take down to the residents. How workable is that though? Is there a place down there accepting items? Would be good to get more info on that- I recall the confusion 2 years ago when people were trying to head south with trucks of stuff for refugees.

McAdie and Reeve in Orkney(removal company) are collecting items to take down to the residents. How workable is that though? Is there a place down there accepting items? Would be good to get more info on that- I recall the confusion 2 years ago when people were trying to head south with trucks of stuff for refugees.
I think they're having a real problem with coordinating donations, and currently they've got way, way more than they need of certain items.

I think this Facebook group might well have some useful info along with the one Wilf posted.

I think they're having a real problem with coordinating donations, and currently they've got way, way more than they need of certain items.

I think this Facebook group might well have some useful info along with the one Wilf posted.

Thanks a lot, I can see they are not accepting donations atm as I had feared, I'll pass on the info. In the long term the surge in donations etc might be put to good use, when re-act in Edinburgh had been getting stuff they didn't need for refugees they eventually became a broader charity that would respond to issues as they arose locally too. Will likely be chaotic for a while yet though.

There's also a Day of Rage, planned for the state opening of parliament on Weds 21st June, though all I can see at the moment are hysterical right wing media stories, so I won't link to them. But if someone has anything more concrete, post it up.

Re-posting this from twitter (from a good source), don't know if this is what you're referring to but did see the same leaflet around in the demo on friday.

DCdxRkGXoAIbFGw.jpg

Re-posting this from twitter (from a good source), don't know if this is what you're referring to but did see the same leaflet around in the demo on friday.

View attachment 109647
Ah cheers, the telegraph and others were wanking on that 'radicals' were going to turn this into a violent action on Grenfell. Wasn't sure if it was a pre-existing demo which had been retrospectively linked ot the fire. Anyway, it is now.

Aren't they trots? Not sure how many residents would feel that a day of rage would be in solidarity with them? Any residents involved?
MfJ/BAMN/RIL etc is indeed a Trottish group, but one which over the years has grown and matured into a strongly pro-refugee rights, anti-racism group, often working on the ground with small local campaigns. Over the past couple of decades it has worked on Asylum Act/Immigration Act issues, against deportations, against Border Force raids and so on. It was one of the groups spied upon by the police in order to surveill the Lawrence family, the Lawrence Family Campaign, and more importantly, Duwayne Brooks.

I don't know anything about it (the day of rage thing) and have no clue if the event is in any way supported by local people / survivors.
I did get the very strong impression from Friday eve that local people do not want any violence at all to be done in their name. This was a strong theme of what I heard people saying there, and as mentioned in the other thread, when it looked like it might get physical that evening with police the crowd started chanting Peace Peace Peace, until things calmed down.
When it moved on from there the chant for a while was 'Justice and Peace' (not the usual no justice no peace), that's what i saw.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about it (the day of rage thing) and have no clue if the event is in any way supported by local people / survivors.
I did get the very strong impression from Friday eve that local people do not want any violence at all to be done in their name. This was a strong theme of what I heard people saying there, and as mentioned in the other thread, when it looked like it might get physical that evening with police the crowd started chanting Peace Peace Peace, until things calmed down.
Yeah, things may develop in unpredictable directions, but the residents have to be at the heart of it.

Yeah, things may develop in unpredictable directions, but the residents have to be at the heart of it.
I really hope so. That was the overwhelming feeling I got from listening that evening, that the avoidance of violence was a key concern, heard it from a lot of different voices. The chant of Justice And Peace was a powerful spontaneous thing. Which doesn't mean people aren't fucking furious.

Ishmahil BlagroveFollow
11 hrs ·
on will be led by survivors and victims of the tragedy, Michael Mansfield QC, Emma Dent Coad MP, religious leaders from various faiths and representatives of the police, fire and emergency services. We will be outlining the objectives of the campaign, what we expect from the government and how we intend to move forward as a community and begin the healing process. We are asking that everyone who attends remain composed, dignified and respectful in memory of those who have passed. This will be the launch of a peaceful campaign with the aim of bringing unity, equality and most importantly, Justice

MfJ/BAMN/RIL etc is indeed a Trottish group, but one which over the years has grown and matured into a strongly pro-refugee rights, anti-racism group, often working on the ground with small local campaigns. Over the past couple of decades it has worked on Asylum Act/Immigration Act issues, against deportations, against Border Force raids and so on. It was one of the groups spied upon by the police in order to surveill the Lawrence family, the Lawrence Family Campaign, and more importantly, Duwayne Brooks.

MFJ is unlike the SWP in that they actually get things done. That said, this 'day of rage' thing seems like a big misstep. For one thing it's an invitation for the met to get their escalation in early, for another it seems to run directly counter to what the actual local community wants to see happening.

e2a: And the line about 'immigrants and citizens' on that flier annoys me. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

Day of rage? Dunno bout dat, i fink we need a day of love.

Fellow attendee's on al quds y'day, had 'justice for Glenfell' posters.

I really hope so. That was the overwhelming feeling I got from listening that evening, that the avoidance of violence was a key concern, heard it from a lot of different voices. The chant of Justice And Peace was a powerful spontaneous thing. Which doesn't mean people aren't fucking furious.

Reading your posts, I think we trod a similar path walking round on Friday. The sight of the charred husk of the building pretty much stopped me in my tracks.

I think the 'rage' in the messages and protests is coming largely from beyond the residents. People are/were (on Friday) stunned and distraught with sorrow of the enormity of it all, and they were still in the throws of the who and where's of the people not accounted for.

That's not to say, of course, it's a bad thing necessarily for people to be angry for them, nor that the anger from the locals won't come in time, but the overwhelming sentiment was one of shock, grief and sympathy from the 'local locals', and, of course, 'wtf am I going to do now' from the people directly affected.

Anger has also been expressed by many 'local' locals, both very articulately by some of those who've had a platform to do so and more generally with emotions running high in public. That's not to say that concerns weren't also raised that a violent response could make the situation worse. Calling any event a Day of Rage seems a bit dubious. In this case it's particularly unfortunate, since the last thing locals need is what happened in Chicago during the Days of Rage: a bunch of privileged, white student vanguardists going there to provoke a fight with the police.

I'm in touch with a local woman who is organising emergency interpreting for survivors without English. Would it be ok to share her appeal with her email address here? editor? She's asked for it to be shared widely.

Thank you!

Interpreters needed at Grenfell Tower:
If you have some time free, please email neggeen@gmail.com directly!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Many of you will have been appalled by the Grenfell Tower fire.

Interpreters are needed to help those displaced. If you are available to interpret please add your details to the spreadsheet attached. In addition to your details, it asks if you have a DBS - which permits you to work with children. It's possible to interpret if you don't - this is just to save admin time later on.

Please put yourself down if you can interpret even if your language isn't listed here - as it may be useful. There's scant information available right now from the authorities so your language may be useful (ditto if it's Spanish or another European language).

Why is it important? Coordination for interpreters is poor; at the moment they are asking people to show up who are then being turned away..

Where is this list going? It will go to all coordinators of the relief effort via the a contact I met at Tabernacle Christian Church while volunteering who has access to all the coordinators.

Shouldn't this be paid for by the funds raised? Yes, absolutely, and as I understand it professional paid interpreters will be hired. The issue at the moment is that the council is not organising this/hasn't been and meanwhile people do need interpreters.

This could potentially be a valuable resource that can help people efficiently and quickly.

Languages Needed:

Dari, Farsi
Urdu
Yuroba
Doruba (South Sudan)

Other languages:
Arabic (please state dialect)
Bengali
French
Somali
Tamil
+ Any others - as I mentioned above there is not a great deal of information.

***Remember: Please email neggeen@gmail.com directly if you can help!***

"Days of Rage" are a tactic in the Palestinian struggle. Maybe they're lifting it from there?

Just to add to what people have said about MfJ: don't know much but I've been to meetings with them and they seem very sound. Actively involved in refugee cases and know their stuff. However, like others I have a mild qualm about anyone doing anything that could even be interpreted as 'appropriating' the issue. Not suggesting that has happened, just don't know has gone on in terms of planning the event, the flyers, whether residents have been involved (whether residents even want to be involved in anything outside their own community at the moment). Ditto too in terms of the title, Day of Rage. I've no objection to people getting very confrontational with the people who murdered 100+ people, but whether the residents want that is another matter.

Ishmahil Blagrove's post.
33 mins ·

Ishmahil BlagroveFollow
39 mins ·
I would like to thank all those who joined us yesterday in the walk of silence to launch the “Justice 4 Grenfell” campaign. The emergency decision to launch the "Justice 4 Grenfell" campaign was taken in order to create one central voice and campaign hub and to bring a sense of order to the various voices that have emerged since the Grenfell Tower tragedy.

Victims are still unaccounted for, families are still grieving, survivors are still traumatised and the community is still in mourning.

This is going to be a very long and drawn out campaign and already we have seen evidence of the state attempting to drive wedges between us. Vultures are circling Grenfell Tower in the form of ambitious lawyers, promising survivors 40 acres and a mule. This will not be a feeding frenzy for those salivating sharks who hope to stuff their pockets and bolster their careers. Jackals in the form of agitators are attempting to stoke the flames of anger and bring violence to the streets. Politicized groups are attempting to hijack the tragedy to promote their political agendas. We will no longer tolerate such opportunists, the community must be left to grieve and to centralise and organise the voices that will eventually bring justice to the victims, their families and the community.

I am asking the young lions of this community to harness their anger and to continue eating grass, knowing full well that you want meat. You have my confidence that I will be hovering over this campaign to ensure that JUSTICE is received and that ALL of those responsible for this tragedy will be brought to JUSTICE.

This campaign will be steered by survivors and bereaved families. They need time to recover from their trauma and when they tell us they are ready to start the walk to JUSTICE, then the process will begin. Lessons learnt and advice from those that have experienced previous similar tragedies and formed campaigns, indicate that it is of vital importance to have a campaign 'framework' in place quickly so that when the survivors and bereaved are ready to act there is 'model' awaiting. Hence, their input of the infrastructure of this campaign, its objectives and the outcomes that will be defined by them has a centralized template to assist them.

We need to demobilise some of the community aid efforts and scale back others in order to bring normality back to the streets. We will conduct ourselves with the same example of humility and dignity that the survivors of this tragedy have demonstrated and await their instruction once they recover from their trauma.

We would like to thank the fire service, police and emergency services for their bravery and the manner in which they have conducted themselves throughout this very challenging ordeal. We would also like to thank all of those who have worked tirelessly around the clock to provide aid and support to the community and those who have selflessly donated clothes, food, funds and professional services from across the country. We know that we will have your continuous support throughout this campaign.

Our collective humanity and demonstrations of solidarity, tolerance and unity has been the hallmark of this tragedy. We will get JUSTICE!

Photo Copyright: Thabo Jaiyesimi

From Radical Housing Network...
radicalhousingnetwork said:
Grenfell was a preventable, political tragedy – authorities must urgently act on promises to rehouse all residents locally, regardless of status

Government and RBKC must take responsibility to rehouse all ‘who called Grenfell home’ in the local area, regardless of their residential or immigration status, said Radical Housing Network, an alliance of groups fighting housing injustice of which Grenfell Action Group is a member.

Grenfell Tower was home to council and private tenants, homeowners, subtenants, and to many people from other countries including migrants and asylum seekers. Regardless of status, authorities must urgently ensure ‘all residents’ future safety and security’, a spokesperson said.

Radical Housing Network added that tower block architecture should not be a focus of blame, and that only reinvestment in public housing would ensure Grenfell marks a turning point in how we house people.

Radical Housing Network is demanding:

• That all Grenfell residents be offered long-term and affordable housing in their local area – to meet this need, RBKC should buy private property and turn it into council housing.
  • That not a single unit of social housing is lost following the Grenfell catastrophe – this must not be an opportunity to denigrate council tower blocks with the back-handed intention of privatising homes or for developers to make a profit.
  • That public investigation into the tragedy (via inquest and/or inquiry) is independent, and has the complete trust of those affected. It should leave no stone unturned.
  • Long-term investment in decent, secure, safe public housing. Grenfell is the result of 30 years of council housing disinvestment, deregulation and austerity.
A spokesperson from Radical Housing Network said:

“We’re calling on the government in conjunction with RBKC to act on their commitment to house all Grenfell residents in the local area, in long-term accommodation which meets their needs – given there are already almost 3,000 people waiting for social housing in Kensington & Chelsea, RBKC should buy private property and turn it into council housing.

“Crucially, public authorities must commit to rehousingall residents to ensure their future safety and security –.Grenfell was home to council tenants, private renters, homeowners, subtenants, and to many people from other countries including migrants and asylum seekers. The council has a responsibility to all these people. No-one should be left in a worse situation by this tragedy, and the Grenfell community must be allowed to heal together in the local area if they wish to.

“Further, Grenfell should not be another excuse to demolish council housing. It’s concerning that amidst tragedy, tower block architecture has once again become a focus of blame. The problem is not council tower blocks, it’s lack of investment and a shockingly irresponsible approach to public building maintenance, safety, and tenants’ concerns.

“The UK housing system treats those at the bottom with contempt. Those on the lowest incomes suffer substandard, dangerous housing and overcrowding – whoever the landlord is. Tenants have few rights or say in their housing, whether they live on a council estate or rent privately.

“Grenfell is a human tragedy, but is also a very political, preventable tragedy. It is a product of a greed-driven housing system, in which profit is valued more than the lives of many people.”

More messages from survivors and those close to them pleading for todays actions to be peaceful and dignified.
From here:
'Mahad Egal, a fourth-floor resident of the tower who was forced to flee the fire, said in a video posted on social media that any violence would “disgrace” the victims.
“I know this is a frustrating time,” he said in the clip. “But I would just like to send a message out: please, to all those protesting, we don’t need no violence in the community, we do not want that in our name.
“Please make sure it is a peaceful protest so that the people and the victims of Grenfell, the survivors of Grenfell, can all be heard.”

The Clement James Centre, which has been helping Grenfell Tower residents, said: “There has been a ‘day of rage’ announced for Wednesday, trying to bring London to a standstill.
“We cannot emphasise enough how against this many of the affected residents we’ve spoken to are and they do not want their grief hijacked for any violent or destructive means.”

Last edited:
From a Guardian interview...

@ 2:44
"I don't agree with that at all, the rioting ting is not cool (you get nothing from rioting). I've told all the mandem that we live here innit, can't be fucking up our area. I understand that it might be a way to get your anger out to vent a little bit but that's not solving anything, they're not going to give you any answers, they'll probably be more reluctant to give you answers after you've rioted, and it's an easy way for them to say that "look these people are savages etc, they don't want help for themselves, they're just hoodrats etc", so it's easier if we have a peaceful protest, show that we're civilised, and push for answers the legitimate legal way, and pressure them using their own game, that's the way to do it, that's my opinion"

I agree with this and I'm hopeful that this is the sort of attitude that is dominant during the protests.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom