Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Smart crows use three tools in succession to reach food

editor

hiraethified
This is mighty impressive stuff - check out the video on the BBC site.

New Caledonian crows have given scientists yet another display of their tool-using prowess.

Scientists from New Zealand's University of Auckland have found that the birds are able to use three tools in succession to reach some food.

The crows, which use tools in the wild, have also shown other problem-solving behaviour, but this find suggests they are more innovative than was thought.

They are the only birds known to craft and use tools in the wild.

The discovery that they whittle branches into hooks and tear leaves into barbed probes to extract food from hard-to-reach nooks astounded scientists, who had previously thought that ability to fashion tools was unique to primates.

And further research in the laboratory and the field has revealed that New Caledonian crows are also innovative problem solvers, often rivalling primates. Experiments have shown that the birds can craft new tools out of unfamiliar materials, as well as use a number of tools in succession.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8631486.stm

_47677571_crow_three_tool466.jpg

1. String is attached to perch
2. Short stick attached to string
3. Long stick out-of-reach behind bars - can be reached with short stick
4. Out-of-reach scrap of meat - can be reached by long stick

interesting still had my mind blown when i found out about the exploding toads in germany..

Clearly shows how crap beaks are.

If crows had hands with opposable thumbs, we'd probably scavenging under the eaves of crow-cities.

i'm sure I read about crows in Japan, who had worked out that they could place nuts on the road, wait for the cars to drive over them, and swoop down to get their crushed nuts, when the traffic lights turned red :cool:

That is absolutely awesome.

The birds were presented with some out-of reach food; a long tool, which could be used to extract the food, but which was also out of reach, tucked behind the bars of a box; and a short tool, which could be used to extract the long tool, but which was attached to the end of a dangling piece of string tied to the crow's perch.

One bird, Sam, spent 110 seconds inspecting the apparatus before completing each of the steps without any mistakes. Another bird, Casper, also completed on his first try, although he was initially puzzled by the string.

I love crows. They're brilliant.

They're certainly way too smart to worry about the big bangy crow scarers that farmers insist on setting off every 30 minutes -- the crows stay away for about 5 minutes then just come back again. It bothers my dog WAY more than it bothers the crows.

And these birds have also surprised scientists with their problem-solving abilities - most recently, they have been shown to repeat Aesop's fable, by working out that dropping stones into water will raise its height, giving them access to some floating food.

Can't believe they've know about water displacement too. :cool:

I know people who would have a hard time figuring out that they had to take the small stick off the string to poke out the long stick to then drag out the food.

Lots of people.

I know people who would have a hard time figuring out that they had to take the small stick off the string to poke out the long stick to then drag out the food.

Lots of people.

I know you never named names.

But still, that stings. :(

You were given twice the normal amount of time in the test chamber. It seemed cruel to leave you in there for any longer :(

Lots of people.

been watching j,kyle again ehh

Ravens have a cooler walk

Get.out.

You think your hard ey? Go say that to the Crows in the park, they'll fuckin av ya! :mad::D

I got really, really close to one sat on a garage roof the other day, he didn't know I was there :cool: Then he looked down and scared himself, guess yo uhad to be there, I luaghed a lot at the look on the crow's face as he saw me. :oops: not as good as my mate's pet crows though, they were ace. :)

In poland they have crows with grey bodies. I'm not sure what sort of crow they are, will look them up when i get home but they are way cool. I also saw a uk crow swoop down into the road and pick up the flattened carcass of a bird that had been run over. Mmm pancake!

Shouldn't that video have the mission impossible theme playing?

Anyway no really 3 different tools just 3 different sized sticks.

Show me a video of them using a hammer, screwdriver and wench and then I'll be impressed!!

Back
Top Bottom