Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crows and vengeance

Ok ta yes I checked - particularly around the beak if you're close enough to see that. around 1 metre across both of them :eek: and raven even bigger.
ive never seen a raven so i couldnt say; in fact I'm not sure if I've seen a rook recently. It's a pet peeve when people mistake jackdaws for crows.

Ok ta yes I checked - particularly around the beak if you're close enough to see that. around 1 metre across both of them :eek: and raven even bigger.

i think 1 metre would be at the larger end for a crow, although they definitely aren't small when you see them up close.

jackdaws I can spot as being grey (assuming I'm close enough again).

Eta And yep Woodland Trust says 93-104cm

There is some sort of crow incident going on outside right now. Firstly, the big crow attacked my little cat (they snipe at each other on a daily basis, but today the crow dive bombed her and she was scared), now they are going nuts, squawking and flying down to the railway line (which I live next to.) Should I fear for my life? We're on a four day curfew here, perhaps they're just lording their dominance over us mere humans.

I don't know :( She was scared after the crow divebombed her and had a fluffy tail like a fox. Can't go very far to look for her because we're not allowed out :(

If she doesn't turn up soon, I'll look out for a passing police patrol car and ask for permission to go on the street.

Mrs Doodler began the habit of feeding dried mealrooms to the local crow population. After a while some of the crows became bold in approaching us, wanting to be fed.

One would hop alongside us when we walked down our road. A local street drinker saw this and was impressed: "Is that your crow? Quality!"

The crows became more demanding as the months went by, and ended up gathering on our roof cawing loudly from about 6am. If you went out the front door, they'd all be peering down at you from above. It got too noisy, so we stopped giving them mealworms and eventually they left us alone.

Last edited:
I’d keep yr dogs indoors tbh.
View attachment 213874
I've seen crows and ravens attack lambs, they tend to do it in different ways.
Crows sit on the back end of the ewe and if the lamb is slow being born, they have it's eyes and its tongue.
Ravens will do a little "dance" to lure a new lamb away from its mum (often when she's busy giving birth to its twin) and then beak it through the head and attack the soft parts.

Crow communication has been shown to be able to convey such things, yes. They can recognise specific masks worn by researchers, and can describe them to each other.
Yep. And such sophisticated communication is being found far more widely, even among bees. Prairie dogs can tell each other the size, colour of clothing the people around them, and if they have a gun!

In one experiment, black-tailed prairie dogs — one of the five prairie-dog species in North America — distinguished human trespassers by height and T-shirt color and further produced a signature call for a person who repeatedly fired a 12-gauge shotgun into the ground.

This is a nice article about the bloke who discovered this, although the article does that thing that articles of this kind invariably do and tries to come up with an alternative explanation that doesn't involve the rodents creating meaningful - and novel - utterances, seeking to reduce it instead (in a rather contrived and unlikely way) to some kind of Skinnerian conditioned response. There's an odd resistance among humans, I think - especially some Skinnerian scientists - to the idea of anything even approaching language in other animals. Are people threatened by the idea?

Can Prairie Dogs Talk?

I have two Crow's who seem to have taken up residence outside my mini (Poundland) nature reserve.

Have named rhem Corvid19 and Corvid20 :)

Chucked them some bits of a Peperami Firestick out the kitchen window a month back and a few meat morsels from time to time.

Now they have started arriving at roughly the same times mid morning and mid afternoon expecting more! They sit staring and caw caw at me.

Menacing :D

I have two Crow's who seem to have taken up residence outside my mini (Poundland) nature reserve.

Have named rhem Corvid19 and Corvid20 :)

Chucked them some bits of a Peperami Firestick out the kitchen window a month back and a few meat morsels from time to time.

Now they have started arriving at roughly the same times mid morning and mid afternoon expecting more! They sit staring and caw caw at me.

Menacing :D
Treat em right and they’ll always have your back!
How cool would that be, to have a guard of crows?

Back
Top Bottom