Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sky glass

ash

Inittogether
Not sure if this is the right forum or tech?
I’ve worked out that the monthly cost for this would be the same as my current BB package and netflix. Has anyone got it? Any pros or cons would be appreciated. Our TV set up is knackered anyway so it sounds pretty attractive.

We haven’t got it but thinking about it so would be interested too. We’ve got sky already and our telly sound is awful and probably on the way out.
Think our Netflix is including in our sky package.

It feels a bit like going back to the Radio Rental days. 😄

We haven’t got it but thinking about it so would be interested too. We’ve got sky already and our telly sound is awful and probably on the way out.
Think our Netflix is including in our sky package.

It feels a bit like going back to the Radio Rental days. 😄
That’s true but it seems reasonable in the long term.

My Sony TV is at least 10-12 years old and whereas the image quality remains top notch, the sound quality has deteriorated massively. I’ve been a Virgin Media customer for more than twelve years and I’m tired of their below par service, so I am very tempted to kill two birds with one stone, and switch to Sky and get a Sky Glass TV in the process. Also, I am now out of contract with Virgin and the current monthly roll-on plan is eye-wateringly expensive.

But annoyingly, Sky seems to have moved towards an online sales philosophy, rather than the old fashioned human salesperson on the phone. I cannot make sense of the multiple options and packages available on their website. And frankly, when I built up a package on their website, the total monthly cost wasn’t that much cheaper at all than
my current out-of-contract Virgin bill.

But on the technical side of things, one of my mates, who happens to work as a code writer for Sky, got a Sky Glass TV first generation set last year, and it looks and sounds fucking great. Apparently the second gen model will be even better- no idea if it’s available yet, though.

I paid up front for the Tv and sky basic and BB is £22/month which includes my current Netflix subscription. Will wait and see but looks good compared to my community fibre fees.

I go it that totally wrong. The broadband was extra so I cancelled it in the cooling off period. The BB was terrible went off 5 times in the first night. So I’m paying £22 for sky basic and using community fibre for BB. Sky basic includes Atlantic and there’s lots to watch on that so I’m quite happy, Netflix is so included.

We decided to get Sky Glass as we were out of contract for our TV/wifi and could get a good deal for the lot including the tv package and Netflix. Our telly is working still but the sound is often poor, especially on apps.

Signed up yesterday, new hub arrives today but I can’t sign the agreement for the new telly. After several calls and half the tech department trying to sort it they’ve had to cancel the order whilst they work it out. It’s something to do with me having more than one Sky ID.

It’s so stupid that they can’t just email me a document to sign. 🙄

I should probably post this again - message me and I can give you an employee friends and family code for some deals including Sky Glass.

I've seen them at work and they do actually look really good.

Screenshot_20240727_201550_Messenger.jpg

I am ou t of contact with Virgin Media, and until a couple of years ago, whenever that happened you only had to speak to customer services and threaten to leave for the operator to offer you massive discounts off the published prices if you renewed.

It seems no more. I never considered Sky as an option whilst Murdoch owned it, but now that he doesn’t and that you no longer need to have a mini-dish to watch, I was prepared to finally ditch Virgin.

But unlike the last couple of decades, when both Sky and Virgin had dedicated sales teams itching to speak to you on the phone and offer you a substantially lower contract, that seems to be gone. I can’t even find a phone number for Sky to give them my money. So I go online and after I add all the extra channels we have, there’s no bloody difference in price to what I am paying now out of contract with Virgin.

And when Virgin calls me every other month to point out I am out of contract eager to get me to commit to a new one, they just offer me an increased broadband speed that doesn’t make any difference to our needs, and quotes me roughly the same price we’re paying out of contract.

Cunts, the lot of them. I guess with Sky Glass you still get a new TV.

Back
Top Bottom