Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sky Arts becomes 'free to air' from Sept. 2020 (inc. Freeview & Freesat)

cupid_stunt

Chief seagull hater & farmerbarleymow's nemesis.
As per thread title, nice addition for us tight fisted buggers that don't subscribe to Sky.

Sky Arts, a channel dedicated to culture, arts and music, will become free-to-air this September and will be available as a live Freeview and Freesat channel. The channel, which runs 24 hours a day, offers documentaries, movies, operas and more – all related to culture and the arts.

Becoming a free channel means the existing slate of Sky Arts programming will be available for everyone to watch, including popular series such as Portrait Artist of The Year, Landscape Artist of The Year, Tate Britain’s Great Art Walks, Urban Myths and countless documentaries and performances, from Kylie, Ed Sheeran and U2, to Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake, Wagner’s Ring Cycle and Cats.

Along with the move, Sky Arts aims to support new talent, so the channel will launch a series of bursaries worth £30,000 each, that will see leading figures from the arts support and mentor diverse and emerging new artists.

Probably aiming to undercut BBC4 which has long been rumoured to be for the scrapheap (and operates limited hours to boot)

Probably aiming to undercut BBC4 which has long been rumoured to be for the scrapheap (and operates limited hours to boot)

It operates for limited hours, because it shares frequencies with one of their kids channels, despite having different channel numbers.

BBC4 has become really rubbish. Same talking heads on every music doc, week in week out......Paul fucking Gambachini again.....oh Don Letts on Reggae....again....

I understand that BBC3 may be coming back to TV, which may or may not affect BBC4.

I never understood why BBC3 was taken off-air, as like with BBC4, it shared the evening/overnights hours on the CBBBC/Cbeebies' frequencies.

I seem to remember CBBC extended hours from 7pm to 9pm, but I don't think the BBC sub-let time after 9pm to a commercial operator, so it seems like a waste of air-time.

Half of the stuff that used to be on Sky Arts is now on the Sky Documentaries channel which appeared a few months back - hopefully, they will continue to show Tales of the Unexpected on Arts on a permanent loop.

I never understood why BBC3 was taken off-air, as like with BBC4, it shared the evening/overnights hours on the CBBBC/Cbeebies' frequencies.

I think it was part of the cost-cutting measures, somehow, and because it had the reputation of Two Pints of Lager every night. I'll confess I never really watched it when it was on telly, but I do know it's produced The Young Offenders and Man Like Mobeen in recent years, both of which are excellent.

I think we actually have it anyway on our subscription, I should watch it more really!

They showed a couple of good Madness documentaries last week.

I'm well pleased this has turned up on freeview

Back
Top Bottom