Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should I report BT to OFCOM or am I just barking down an empty rabbit hole?

Epona

Sonic: 1 Nov 2006 - 8 Jan 2022
OK we've had ongoing issues for years with BT.
Our maximum speed we can get here with FTTC is 30Mb download speed, about 7 up. and they are trying to claim that charging us for a Fibre 2 package when we have NEVER been able to receive 70Mbps download speed is because we're "out of contract" and that makes it OK to send us a bill for £272 for 3 months of internet.

I wasn't out of contract when they put me on that package btw, that was the package I signed up for and has not been delivered, I've also asked for my landline to be disconnected multiple times but they are still charging me for it.

Apparently for them to take the phone line off and reduce to the 30Mbps package I should have been on all along means I have to sign up with them for 2 years.

I've gone fuck this for a game of cricket and am awaiting my new router delivery from PlusNet.

However, is there any value in going to OFCOM about the massive overcharging for years for a service that isn't even available at my address because I am "out of contract"? I reckon we've overpaid by about £4k in the last few years for a service we weren't getting.

(And anyone who says we should have dealt with it sooner doesn't understand the difficulties of being Neurodiverse)

that seems a heck of a lot.

i pay just over 70 quid a month, that's landline (anytime UK calls), mobile (SIM only - calls and texts and a fair chunk of data) and internets (unlimited amount, don't know how fast it is or is supposed to be, but it's quite adequate for what i do - i don't do online gaming and that sort of thing, but it's fine watching telly stuff on smart TV - not HD)

may be worth registering (if you're not on there already) and asking the question on the BT community forum thing - i got some fairly helpful answers over a BT difficulty that mum-tat was having.

£4k ? :eek:

I would say it's absolutely worth trying to get that back!

But, OFCOM doesn't deal with individual complaints, the correct place for BT customers is the Communications Ombudsman.

Communications providers offering services to people, small businesses (up to 10 employees) and not-for-profit organisations (where up to 10 individuals work, not including volunteers) must be members of an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

Ofcom currently approves two ADR schemes: the Communication & Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS) and Communications Ombudsman. (Ombudsman Services changed its name to Communications Ombudsman in July 2023. If you have already raised a complaint with Ombudsman Services, you do not need to submit it again.)

ADR schemes are independent bodies that carry out an impartial assessment on complaints between a customer and a provider, and reach a decision based on the information submitted by both parties. ADR schemes are free to use.

You can take your complaint to an ADR scheme if:

• you have already raised it with your communications provider and it is still unresolved; and
  • it has been at least eight weeks since you made the initial complaint to your provider or you’ve been unable to reach an agreement with them and you have received a deadlock letter.

Blimey. I paid about £30 for 70meg and £11 for each of the three mobiles with unlimited data with EE. Going out of contract is just a way to milk people.

Back
Top Bottom