Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Seville

Oooh, I’ll keep that list for my next trip
Please do. The friends for whom it was written came back last week and thoroughly loved it. They used bar Santa Cruz for breakfast everyday, they had tostada con azeite y tomate and loved it. It's a typical Andalucían breakfast. I used to have mine with Cola Cao which is a chocolate milk. There are very few days I don't miss my life in Spain.

Attachments

• colacao-sachets-pack-6.jpg
    colacao-sachets-pack-6.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 2
Went to Seville a couple of years back and loved the place.

Favourite thing though was going to the tiny flamenco theatre at the Mercado Triana food market.

Probably only around twenty or so seats by a tiny stage seeing the most intense and jaw-dropping flameco show.

Totally shell-shocked for a couple of hours afterwards, needed to head straight off to a bar for a drink.:D

Incredible.

Bumpity Bump!

Going to Seville in early Nov, staying in Triana. 3 day break so no excursions out of the city.

Any further recommendations?

I absolutely love sherry.

Bodegas Diaz Salazar in the centre.

Bodeguita la Acerao up nearer Santa Justa.

Tapa Bar Puerta Jerez. Looks new not been but great list of vinos generosos on their menu.

El Rinconcillo had some good Jerez options when I was last there. You can book a table or stand up at barrels. Probs one of the most famous tapas bars in Sevilla. Great atmosphere.

Bar La Andaluza Triana. Right in Triana. Looks like a good place for tapas and with a good sherry selection.

Oh and finally I cant find the name but up from the cathedral after Bar Santa Cruz Las Columnas there's a bar with ajulezos and some outside seating with wooden barrels serving vino dulce and some sherries too I think. It's quite distinctive and on the same popular street going uphill, but after Las Columnas.

If youre really mad about sherry then go down to Jerez for half a day for sure and see a bodega! Let me know if you want recommendations. The Sevillanos arent really thatttt into it. They drink manzanilla quite a lot in bars and at the feria (mixed with fanta it's called rebujito and gets you waaaaasted) but tbh Sevilla is a beer city. They dont even drink wine much.

If you make it to El Puerto de Santa Maria another time I would HIGHLY recommend doing the tour and the tapas tasting menu with 6 sherries at Bodegas Gutierez Colosia. Great bodega and fantastic experience last month there all for about 30 euros!

Last edited:
If you’re going to Jerez, I lived and worked there for a year, I’d recommend:
Las Baderillas for rabo de toro, and corvina al ajillo;
Tabanco San Pablo for, arguably the best, serranito, try the ajo campero;
Tabanco Plateros for sherry, and simple tapas;
Tabanco El Pasaje for flamenco, some argue it started in Jerez and this is a great place to experience it;

My favourite bodega is Williams and Humbert, but the Gonzalez Byas is very good. Williams and Humbert‘s building is relativery modern but I like their sherries and brandy. González Byas is older and is very popular.

I’d also recommend the Real Escuela Andaluz del Arte Ecuestre, buy tickets in advance, they sell out.

Almost forgot there’s a driving tour through the vineyards of Jerez, unfortunately I don’t remember much about it other than you get to see a lot of interesting places.

Before I got my flat in Jerez I stayed in Puerto de Santa Maria, although others disagree, I didn‘t like it much, but that’s most likely because of my circumstances there rather than the town. As I said, others really like the place.

If you’re going to Jerez, I lived and worked there for a year, I’d recommend:
Las Baderillas for rabo de toro, and corvina al ajillo;
Tabanco San Pablo for, arguably the best, serranito, try the ajo campero;
Tabanco Plateros for sherry, and simple tapas;
Tabanco El Pasaje for flamenco, some argue it started in Jerez and this is a great place to experience it;

My favourite bodega is Williams and Humbert, but the Gonzalez Byas is very good. Williams and Humbert‘s building is relativery modern but I like their sherries and brandy. González Byas is older and is very popular.

I’d also recommend the Real Escuela Andaluz del Arte Ecuestre, buy tickets in advance, they sell out.

Almost forgot there’s a driving tour through the vineyards of Jerez, unfortunately I don’t remember much about it other than you get to see a lot of interesting places.

Before I got my flat in Jerez I stayed in Puerto de Santa Maria, although others disagree, I didn‘t like it much, but that’s most likely because of my circumstances there rather than the town. As I said, others really like the place.
I am a big fan of W&H Dry Sack but afraid to short a break for Jerez, but thank you.

My last big sherry buy was Bodegas Tradición 30 Year Old Oloroso Sherry, astounding stuff but a once a year purchase at the price.

You tried anything by Emilio Hidalgo butcher? Gobernador was on on the wine list for Tapa Bar Puerta Jerez I think. They have an amazing fino called La Panesa as well. If you see anything by Sanchez Romate I would try that or snap that up too... one of my favourite bodegas. Love their Fino perdido (a more fino amontillado heavier fino)

I went to a tasting event for Tradición in Jerez. Amazing wines. Expensive but a good treat. If youre picking up a bottle or two im sure local wine shops in Sevilla will have some good options. Failing that, try El Corte Inglés they have an excellent range.

Mrs and I are planning holidays for this year and for various reasons we are thinking of going to this region in October. Specifically 4 nights in Seville and 4 nights in Malaga (or would consider somewhere else if easy to get to from Seville then easy to get to an airport that flies to gatwick) to mix it up. I like history and wouldn't mind a day trip to Alhambra, and Gibraltar if time allows. Mrs likes food. We're not big drinkers but love a tour or two, we'll try wine for the tasting you know. Does this sound like a good plan?

I'm planning on going to Seville in May/June (as already posted in the Malaga thread). Malaga to Seville is 2 hours by train (I think), Malaga to Granada by bus is 90 minutes. If you're planning on going to Granada anyway to see Alhambra, it's a great place to base yourself for a few days.

OK so we've agreed an extra day holiday and we're going Seville, Granada & Malaga!

Sounds great. I would fly to Seville and then back from Málaga if you can get cheap flights that way, Granada airport doesn't have many routes so would be harder.

All 3 are amazing cities and you will have a great time for sure.

Cadiz is perhaps my fav city overall in Andalucía, expecially when the sun is out. The beaches are great, the food is delicious and the city is chilled but with a fun alive vibe. If anyone has more time in Andalucía you can't miss it.

We've just had 5 nights over New Year in Seville and 1 in Carmona (staying in the glorious parador).

First time in the city and really enjoyed it. Was glad to be there out of the heat and the crowds.

Recommend to book the cathedral and Alcazar in advance online. We also went up the Setas on NYD.

IMG_2651.jpeg

If I were going to Seville in late May/early June, do you think I would need to book in advance trains between Malaga and Seville and Seville and Cadiz? I would probably want to travel to Seville on the day I land in Malaga, but in case of delays, not sure I want to commit to a time.

If I were going to Seville in late May/early June, do you think I would need to book in advance trains between Malaga and Seville and Seville and Cadiz? I would probably want to travel to Seville on the day I land in Malaga, but in case of delays, not sure I want to commit to a time.
Could you not fly in to Seville and out via Málaga? Or vice versa, it's what I'd consider doing. Sevilla airport is very small and is near enough to the city to be an easy taxi ride.

And do book the trains, it makes life easier. I don't know how old you are but look into getting a golden ticket. It's quite cheap and gives discounts on tickets. IIRC there's no obligation to be Spanish resident.

Sounds great. I would fly to Seville and then back from Málaga if you can get cheap flights that way, Granada airport doesn't have many routes so would be harder.

All 3 are amazing cities and you will have a great time for sure.

Cadiz is perhaps my fav city overall in Andalucía, expecially when the sun is out. The beaches are great, the food is delicious and the city is chilled but with a fun alive vibe. If anyone has more time in Andalucía you can't miss it.
Can't disagree with you regarding Cádiz. In fact me and Mr SB are in the process of leaving the UK to live there. Can't wait!

Could you not fly in to Seville and out via Málaga? Or vice versa, it's what I'd consider doing. Sevilla airport is very small and is near enough to the city to be an easy taxi ride.

And do book the trains, it makes life easier. I don't know how old you are but look into getting a golden ticket. It's quite cheap and gives discounts on tickets. IIRC there's no obligation to be Spanish resident.

I don't know if buses are everyone's thing, but the EA route bus does the airport - station - centre of town route and it was perfect for me during my visit.

Back
Top Bottom