Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Seitan

This is the kind of shizzle:

220px-Wheat_gluten_(vegetarian_mock_duck)_opened_can_(2007).jpg

I bought some of this on the strength of this thread, and it does indeed look rank. It tastes good though. I used it in a stir-fry.

Any other recipe ideas?

I bought some of this on the strength of this thread, and it does indeed look rank. It tastes good though. I used it in a stir-fry.

Any other recipe ideas?
Yeah, it's great in curries. But rather than adding it early like you would most things, fry it up in some spices late on and add it to the main body of the curry with five minutes or so to go. Same routine for stews.

Yeah, it's great in curries. But rather than adding it early like you would most things, fry it up in some spices late on and add it to the main body of the curry with five minutes or so to go. Same routine for stews.
I normally fry onion with spices at the beginning of making a curry, and add anything else which needs frying at this stage. So this sounds like lots more work (and washing up).

Still not tried this, but saw a recipe for smoked seitan for BBQs and would be good when we've got non meat eaters round. Is it hard to make from the vital wheat gluten?

Still not tried this, but saw a recipe for smoked seitan for BBQs and would be good when we've got non meat eaters round. Is it hard to make from the vital wheat gluten?
I have revised my opinion on seitan over the years now I make my own. This is my favourite recipe which is a PROPER FAFF and needs the oven to be on for ages, but well worth it. I add Liquid Smoke to make it even nicer.

Makes 8 delicious large burgers or a load of whatever shape you fancy, as it needs cooking again to finish - fry or bbq/grill if it's burger-shaped, or breadcrumb or sauce the pieces for other recipes. I freeze the burgers and defrost and fry as needed.

I have revised my opinion on seitan over the years now I make my own. This is my favourite recipe which is a PROPER FAFF and needs the oven to be on for ages, but well worth it. I add Liquid Smoke to make it even nicer.

Makes 8 delicious large burgers or a load of whatever shape you fancy, as it needs cooking again to finish - fry or bbq/grill if it's burger-shaped, or breadcrumb or sauce the pieces for other recipes. I freeze the burgers and defrost and fry as needed.

Thanks. I took the plunge last night and took the plunge and ordered some. Does adding the beans and other bits make a big difference? Assume you've tried a few recipies? Can you freeze it as a block and defrost and cut into chunks?

I can imagine it would lovely chopped in to bits, dipped in corn flour, deep fried and served with a chinese style sauce, but I'm trying to be good and not do that at the moment.

Thanks. I took the plunge last night and took the plunge and ordered some. Does adding the beans and other bits make a big difference? Assume you've tried a few recipies? Can you freeze it as a block and defrost and cut into chunks?

I can imagine it would lovely chopped in to bits, dipped in corn flour, deep fried and served with a chinese style sauce, but I'm trying to be good and not do that at the moment.
What have you ordered, the vital wheat gluten? It's like flour so all the other stuff is flavour and texture.
Or did you order actual ready-made seitan, in which case you can easily do what you suggest!

What have you ordered, the vital wheat gluten? It's like flour so all the other stuff is flavour and texture.
Or did you order actual ready-made seitan, in which case you can easily do what you suggest!

I've got the flour so I'll have a go at making them tomorrow night. Went to the shop tonight and forgot to buy a can of black beans, but assume they will substitute ok? I've got some dry ones so could put a handful in a little slow cooker in the morning if not.

It looks interesting as a meat eater, I feel it would work best with a lot of flavour to suck up. Better than tofu looked anyway.

While I understand why that could be better taste wise. At that point it isn't a cooking method I use unless doing fish and chips. Then thats wok fried and I can taste the fish and the chips.

In this case it's more for texture then taste, but yes, I understand why it's not popular. I'm not buying more oil for my fryer till I'm a stone lighter.

I've got the flour so I'll have a go at making them tomorrow night. Went to the shop tonight and forgot to buy a can of black beans, but assume they will substitute ok? I've got some dry ones so could put a handful in a little slow cooker in the morning if not.
Yes! I've done it with butter beans and kidney beans (all tinned). The mixture should be smoothish, and don't over-knead it or it'll be tough. And be careful when clearing up - scrape as much as you can out of the receptacles, or even wipe with kitchen roll, before washing up - the pesky seitan fibres get everywhere and ruin dish brushes and cloths.

Yes! I've done it with butter beans and kidney beans (all tinned). The mixture should be smoothish, and don't over-knead it or it'll be tough. And be careful when clearing up - scrape as much as you can out of the receptacles, or even wipe with kitchen roll, before washing up - the pesky seitan fibres get everywhere and ruin dish brushes and cloths.

Thanks! Because I'll be doing it in the food processor I can imagine it would quite easy to over knead.

Thanks! Because I'll be doing it in the food processor I can imagine it would quite easy to over knead.
Ah, I don't have one of those, so zap everything other than the gluten with a blender, then mix by hand. Hope it works - I'm sure there's an element of witchcraft involved.

Back
Top Bottom