Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Seitan

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
I've had this meat substitute when I've been on holiday in Italy and Lanzarote, but I've never seen it over here in the UK. Where can I get some?

Feel free to discuss all things seitan related, whether you hate it or are a seitan worshipper.

Dont know, but have been wondering the same thing. Had some amazing meat substitutes from our local Chinese recently, which I suspect are Seitan-based. Texture wise far superior to soya-based stuff IMO.

Mostly all Chinese grocery shops have tins of seitan products styled as braised chicken, pork, duck, etc. and very yummy. I will be trying the seitan faux-mackerel later today!
Also, you can find jars of seitan in some kind of stock in some health food shops.

My fave thing for a faux-meat veggie curry or stew is to mix the proteins - a bit of quorn, a bit of seitan - (both don't like to be overcooked ime) - which gives the dish a satisfying mixture of sinewy textures.

Mostly all Chinese grocery shops have tins of seitan products styled as braised chicken, pork, duck, etc. and very yummy. I will be trying the seitan faux-mackerel later today!
Also, you can find jars of seitan in some kind of stock in some health food shops.
So mock duck, chicken etc are made from seitan?

Brixton wholefoods sells seitan.

Confirmed seitan worshipper BTW.
I had a look for it after reading some of your other posts - I could only see a tin of mock duck for £3.50 which while cheaper than meat seemed quite dear - is that what you buy?

I had a look for it after reading some of your other posts - I could only see a tin of mock duck for £3.50 which while cheaper than meat seemed quite dear - is that what you buy?

Nah have a look in the fridge section next to where the fake meat burgers, tofu and stuff are. Never had the tinned stuff. I normally buy the shredded stuff which you can use in a chilli, stew or a stirfry.

I've not bought anything in there for a while though as I'm not in the ends anymore.

This is the kind of shizzle:

220px-Wheat_gluten_(vegetarian_mock_duck)_opened_can_(2007).jpg

Nah have a look in the fridge section next to where the fake meat burgers, tofu and stuff are. Never had the tinned stuff. I normally buy the shredded stuff which you can use in a chilli, stew or a stirfry.

I've not bought anything in there for a while though as I'm not in the ends anymore.
Ah, I did look in that bit and I didn't see it but I was probably looking for a block like tofu, or maybe they just didn't have it that day. Glad it's not the tin as I was not up for that!

Have I got this right - it is basically dumplings without the animal fat?

And, whilst I'm here on a Chinese vegetarian thing; has anyone tried boiling spring rolls rather than frying? The thought occurred to me that they would probably work well dropped into a soup, or something.

Have I got this right - it is basically dumplings without the animal fat?

And, whilst I'm here on a Chinese vegetarian thing; has anyone tried boiling spring rolls rather than frying? The thought occurred to me that they would probably work well dropped into a soup, or something.

Not tried doing that, but you can get a steamed version, so maybe. Probably wouldn't be nice though.

So, I had the 'mackerel' for lunch today. Noticed that the label says it's made from more than just seitan (also soya bean protein and corn protein!).

Edible, is how I would describe it :D. Tasted a bit how I imagine Spam would taste if it was made of fish.

Having said that, I managed to quite enjoy it. It was nice having the simulated experience of having an open sandwich of fish and tomato and red onion on rye. Sometimes that's all I require from my fake meats :thumbs:.

Now I know what it is! Been eating it for years but didn't know it was called seitan. They call it mock meat in SE Asia.

Back
Top Bottom