Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sea / Open water swimming costumes

ska invita

back on the other side
....do they make you any warmer, really? if so, how much!?

and next question, any tips for what to go for? Looks like theres a big price range out there....

Id probably rather something that was shorts and short sleeved rather than full body, but then does that cut down on your warmth?

maybe! is there a diffrence? i reckon there might be some more for swimming
Triathletes use wetsuits. They, as you are aware, come in two basic styles the shorty and the full. There's minor differences. They all help with keeping warm, and bouyancy. Flexibility and warmth can vary with the thickness of the neoprene.

I use a full wetsuit.

Swim specific ones are designed for freedom of movement and bouyancy as well as warmth.

The thickness of the neoprene determine both of these. It typically varies on different parts of the body.

You can get "shorty" wetsuits designed for SwimRun.

You can also get trisuits and skinsuits which are much thinner, though most swimmers I see without wetsuits just use standard swimming costumes.

You can also get desperate neoprene vests and shorts such as these. I've no experience of them though.

3mm Neoprene Swim Vest - Mens

im no triathelete...id just like to freeze a little less when i go swimming in the uk :oldthumbsup:
I gave that as an idea about how they're designed for swimming. If I were to go cold water swimming again (as opposed to the Med) it's the route I'd take.

You're talking £100-150 minimum for a new suit though

eBay this time of year might throw up some second hand bargains.

Alternatively you can hire for the season too.

Do people really get cold swimming moderate distances ?
There was a race on "Bondi Rescue" when the water was about as warm as it ever gets in the UK and all these really fit swimmers were dropping out like flies and being wrapped in space blankets.
Embarassingly I have never mastered "free style" or swimming underwater (haven't actually swum in 10 years :( ), so tend to just lounge about floating on my back - it's my hope in a few years time to learn to do it properly and start putting in some miles.

Is there a Decathlon near you? They have some decent lightweight suits.

If you can try to find a bespoke wetsuit maker. Although it's a while since I got mine the price was more or less the same as a name brand off the peg.

Wetsuit needs to fit properly, otherwise you'll lose much of the benefit.
The water layer under the suit should be quite thin, as too much water and the insulating effect dissipates.

Is there a Decathlon near you? They have some decent lightweight suits.

If you can try to find a bespoke wetsuit maker. Although it's a while since I got mine the price was more or less the same as a name brand off the peg.

I got the kids decathlon wetsuits this year and yeah, they are cheap, but the stitching doesn't look great and they zip cord feels flimsy. I don't expect them to last long unlike the billabong one I bought for myself ten years ago. Also, they are made in Cambodia which makes my child labour alert go PING.

Back
Top Bottom