Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Scratched glass help?

moody

Member of The Underground.
today I was sanding down a window frame ready to paint but I have been ott with the sanding and some of the glass has some scratches on.

what can I do, what is proven to work?

today I was sanding down a window frame ready to paint but I have been ott with the sanding and some of the glass has some scratches on.

what can I do, what is proven to work?
Sadly there is no way of easily repairing scratched glass without replacing it.

There are various t-cut type things you can use if the scratches aren't too deep.
On glass, rather than on hard plastic? I know there's stuff for polishing eg car headlights, but they are not glass.

Bit late now, but prevention is better than cure - Proplex/Correx and similar protective sheeting was invented to prevent this sort of thing - protect the glass before sanding the frames, not wonder how to deal with damage afterwards :(

EDIT: Sorry, that wasn't particularly helpful (although maybe for future!) - if the scratches are deep enough that you can feel them when you run a fingernail across them (what grade sandpaper were you using?) then you might not be able to do much. If they are very superficial then try rubbing them gently with ordinary toothpaste using a clean non-abrasive cloth (that can work for cleaning up some silver jewelry too btw, it is fairly gentle just don't use too much pressure or an abrasive cloth).

Last edited:
moody would you maybe post before and after painting the window frame ? I could do with the motivation that might be in it, need to do the same thing and been putting it off for months.

yeh some twat suggested putting a thin plastic strip round the window. I wouldn't do that it would look naff :mad:

I'm going in tomorrow to check how deep the scratches are and decide what course of action to take

sandpaper was p60 so fairly course, may have to resort to polishing with buffer

Back
Top Bottom