Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Santander Bikes finally coming to Brixton

editor

hiraethified
This is ruddy good news:

santander-bikes.jpg

Brixtonites have had a long wait but Santander Cycles (aka Boris Bikes) are finally coming to Brixton later this year.

Today it was announced that seven docking stations with space for up to 200 bikes will be installed after funding was agreed with Lambeth Council.

Santander Cycles to expand to Brixton, with seven docking stations coming later this year

I didn't realise individual councils had to negotiate their own deals with the scheme. I thought it was London-wide... That doesn't seem very fair for the poorer boroughs in London.

Yeeeeeeey!!was just talking to one of my east buddies about this or the lack of hooray all round. I think I'm goi go to sign up.

Of course, there's no shortage of these bikes seen around Brixton already, ridden by kids on a, shall we say, extended hire period :D
I saw some little shites on two of them last Saturday, verbally abusing someone outside Bob wines in Tulse Hill. Quite frankly, it's the worst vehicle on which to perform antisocial behaviour in our neck of the woods. Just call the police and tell them to look for the kid on the bright red stolen bicycle.

E2A, you can bet the last legitimate hire got hit with a £900 fine after the kids hired them on such an extended basis.

Has Brixton been gentrified that much then?

That they believe there are enough hipsters around to justify this expense.

Fun facts: The expense of the scheme to TfL is currently 3.62m against an operating expenditure of 21.35m. The rest is made up by usage fees (11m) and sponsorship. Over a year, about 11.5m hires are made, so the cost per hire to TfL is about 30p.

Fun facts: The expense of the scheme to TfL is currently 3.62m against an operating expenditure of 21.35m. The rest is made up by usage fees (11m) and sponsorship. Over a year, about 11.5m hires are made, so the cost per hire to TfL is about 30p.
The powers that be want TFL to become self sustainable so that they can cut government subsidies to eventually zero.

If I was in charge of TFL I'd be ditching the bikes if they cost the company money.
Every bike ride is not just costing 30p but it's also losing them a potential bus or tube fare.

The powers that be want TFL to become self sustainable so that they can cut government subsidies to eventually zero.

If I was in charge of TFL I'd be ditching the bikes if they cost the company money.
Every bike ride is not just costing 30p but it's also losing them a potential bus or tube fare.
Depends on how loss-making their other services are. None are profitable. All the figures you need for the comparison are in the annual report: http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tfl-annual-report-and-statement-of-accounts-2016-17.pdf

Apart, that is, for people who live in Brixton.

Surely these are for distributing people away from the public transport hub. Get the tube to Brixton and then cycle to Herne Hill, Tulse Hill, Acre Lane. If they are for going to Brixton only, they will get full up at 5.01pm and be useless.

Surely these are for distributing people away from the public transport hub. Get the tube to Brixton and then cycle to Herne Hill, Tulse Hill, Acre Lane. If they are for going to Brixton only, they will get full up at 5.01pm and be useless.
You've got to get to another docking station. There aren't any in Herne Hill or Tulse Hill.

You've got to get to another docking station. There aren't any in Herne Hill or Tulse Hill.
The bikes are only for people who live close to Brixton tube. And already have the tube within walking distance. So probably aren’t most in need of the bikes.

Back
Top Bottom