Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Rookie dimwit music from laptop problem

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
We’ll take as read the eye rolling and grandad shouts at cloud responses. But I’m way behind on music streaming. I’m a CD and vinyl throwback.

However, I have just moved to a new flat and my physical music is at the bottom of a very large pile of boxes. So I want to hook up Spotify to my stereo so that I can entertain guests, (and my new neighbours, wink).

The system I have is a Denon M38 DAB (with 2 Q Acoustics bookshelf speakers and a Warfdale subwoofer). I’ve had it a while and it is pre Bluetooth.

It has a USB in at the front that I can plug my phone into and play Spotify and it comes out through the system. This is fine, but it also plays my alerts and phone calls and means it’s awkward for me to use the phone while playing music.

I know, I thought, I’ll run a USB to USB from my laptop to the Denon.

Except that doesn’t work.

What do I need to do to get streamed music on my laptop to play over my stereo system?

(Yeah, yeah, it’s nearly 2020. But go on, catch me up with 2010).

What inputs has the Denon got? If it has a pair of RCA jacks for some sort of aux input, you could run the output from the laptop straight in to the Denon with a 3.5mm to RCA cable. Not sure where you'd get one on christmas eve though. Is there a Claas Olson nearby?

Alternatively, stick with the mobile method and switch off all notifications.

Is there no 3.5mm jack on the laptop and the speaker system (like headphone size, usually marked as 'aux' on speakers)?

phono / RCA to minijack cable into the aux in on the back of your Denon
31-C3KQCgKL.jpg

will be a couple of quid online or about £600 in Currys

The Google Chromecast Audio would've been perfect for this application, but, for some inexplicable reason, they discontinued it.
The mini jack to mini jack is the boss. I’ve put on a Carols from Kings playlist. My younger daughter (aged 20) said “Oh, I get it, people with the surname king singing carols. Like a pun on Carole King!”

I’m almost prouder of her that she got to this age and knows Carole King but not Kings College Cambridge.

Reactions: Sue
The Google Chromecast Audio would've been perfect for this application, but, for some inexplicable reason, they discontinued it.

There are other Bluetooth beamers available which you can just stick into the back of pre bluetooth stereo

The mini jack to mini jack is the boss. I’ve put on a Carols from Kings playlist. My younger daughter (aged 20) said “Oh, I get it, people with the surname king singing carols. Like a pun on Carole King!”

I’m almost prouder of her that she got to this age and knows Carole King but not Kings College Cambridge.

This makes me Believe in Humanity.

Back
Top Bottom