Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Roger Waters self indulgent twat / not self indulgent twat

Water's is...

• Total voters

Firky

The first of the gang
Banned
Including Pink Floyd and his solo stuff, is Waters the magic that made Pink Floyd (apart from Syd Barrett, who was a demi-god) into what they were?

Or just a self indulgent twat who could knock out the odd good song?

His daughter India used to do the club thing when I did, never met, but fancied the pants off her...
.... that being said, she was "fluffy as fuck" and wore Kowala bear bags on her back and stuff. :)

A self indulgent twat, but he happened to be a self indulgent twat who could write bloody good songs. I used to prefer Barrett, but since I stopped smoking weed, I've noticed how utterly pointless and random his stuff was :p

Like the Fab Four innit :cool:

Personally I lost touch with Pink Floyd around the time of "Animals" - good, but just too nasty to listen to for entertainment ....

Was listening to 'Amused to Death', before for the first time in donkeys.Some reason 'What God Wants', parts I and II really stand out, but they're shite aint they? :confused:

Pink Floyd are a riddle inside a mystery wrapped in an enigma, best listened to during adolescence with shit soapbar. Still, WYWH and DSToM are corking albums (but best listened to every two or three years).

Can't say I've really kept up with Pink Floyd spats over the years, but I had the impression there's been a bit of thaw in relations between Waters and the rest. Seems not:
Divisions intensified recently when band lyricist Polly Samson accused Waters of being “antisemitic to your rotten core. Also a Putin apologist and a lying, thieving, hypocritical, tax-avoiding, lip-synching, misogynistic, sick-with-envy, megalomaniac” – allegations Waters denied.
Only thing I can remember about Waters in recent years was hearing a radio interview about some opera he'd written. The words 'self important pompous wanker' wandered into my mind.

Can't say I've really kept up with Pink Floyd spats over the years, but I had the impression there's been a bit of thaw in relations between Waters and the rest. Seems not:

Only thing I can remember about Waters in recent years was hearing a radio interview about some opera he'd written. The words 'self important pompous wanker' wandered into my mind.
He was the guest speaker of Russia recently. He's definitely been in the news ;)

I've been thinking about The Wall recently. The movie not the album that is. And I've been thinking about the psychologising of politics especially with respect to fascism. What started me was that Arnold Schwarnezegger video about hatred and weakness which may (or may not) have a beneficial impact on young people (men in particular) who maybe heading down various alt-right rabbit holes. But it's this fascism=hatred=weakness=trauma=psychological walls idea without any social/systemic analysis and it's turning the actual material political realities into an internal struggle with your demons. Roger Waters is a cautionary tail for this sort of thinking. When you have faced your internal demons and you still fall down a rabbit hole then you're particularly self-righteous about it and especially helpless to get out of it again.

The Wall has a real emotional impact to it and it ultimately has a positive/healing message/anti-fascist message to it. But it's shallow.

In regards to him being antisemitic, my understanding is that he is not a fan of the state of Israel and the displacement of the Palestinian people.
Indeed, and nor am I. There are, however, ways of expressing that without falling into antisemitic tropes, and there are ways of expressing that which unfortunately are antisemitic. You managed the former above. Sadly, too many people do not.

This, for example, is a stage prop from a Waters show:

A flying pig with symbols including the Star of David projected onto it.

That looks very much to me like a wider criticism than just of the Israeli state. The Star of David (it is not the Israeli flag he uses here, but the Star of David) is a symbol of Judaism. Blaming or holding responsible Jews in general is antisemitic. I have no problem with saying that the above is anti semitic.

Just regards to the anti-semitism angle. Looking at the reports there's two strikes against him. Firstly comparing Israel to Nazi Germany on a couple of occasions and secondly that Star of David on the pig thing he did several years back. I think I said at the time of the latter of these that he's a borderline case, but the fact that it's an isolated case makes it look like spectacular misjudgement/ignorance rather than being anti-semitic to the core.

I have an acquaintance that works for Roger Waters. By his account he is great to work for.
In regards to him being antisemitic, my understanding is that he is not a fan of the state of Israel and the displacement of the Palestinian people.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that in my book and that's what he's quoted for saying in that article i posted but Roger's still a bit of an arse.

Back
Top Bottom