Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Robert F Chew (Proposition Joe off of The Wire) has died

who now will handle the connect :(

Whoever it is, that's the motherfucker that done prop joe.

Sad news. My wire companion book had a little section on Chew. Said he was a quite quiet, unimposing sort. Completely separated from the drug trade and "street" culture of Baltimore, unlike many of the other black actors from the city.

RIP, he was thoroughly convincing in that role, and from the link it appears he was a great teacher and an all round good egg.

double crossed by cheese his nephew cant believe he went out like that also spotted him in homicide life on the street as a dealer

Completely separated from the drug trade and "street" culture of Baltimore, unlike many of the other black actors from the city.

First off, The Wire was a big production. Most of the actors were not from Baltimore - even though they played characters on a show set in Baltimore. Second, how does drug use amongst white Baltimore actors compare with drug use amongst black Baltimore actors? And how the fuck does your little book know that, anyway?

First off, The Wire was a big production. Most of the actors were not from Baltimore - even though they played characters on a show set in Baltimore. Second, how does drug use amongst white Baltimore actors compare with drug use amongst black Baltimore actors? And how the fuck does your little book know that, anyway?

I think a lot of the actors who played dealers etc were authentic Baltimore street yoots. Maybe not the bigger parts, but bit part players certainly were. They used them to increase the authenticity of the show. Not necessarily talking about drug use, but more being embroiled in the drug trade, one way or another, as in living in areas where it was normal to have dealers on the "corner" of your street, openly "slanging product" etc. fuck knows how they knew that, I'm just going on what I read. I assume the people who write these tings make it their business to find out the truth, by speaking to the cast, producers, writers, and then report it. Kind of like journalism.

If you don't have anything to say about the death of Robert Chew, then take your nonsense elsewhere

I think a lot of the actors who played dealers etc were authentic Baltimore street yoots. Maybe not the bigger parts, but bit part players certainly were. They used them to increase the authenticity of the show. Not necessarily talking about drug use, but more being embroiled in the drug trade, one way or another, as in living in areas where it was normal to have dealers on the "corner" of your street, openly "slanging product" etc. fuck knows how they knew that, I'm just going on what I read. I assume the people who write these tings make it their business to find out the truth, by speaking to the cast, producers, writers, and then report it. Kind of like journalism.

Off the top off my head the actors who played Snoop and the Deacon both were. Slim Charles is a DJ from nearby Washington DC. I'm sure there are others - the obituary talks about Robert Chew helping 22 young Baltimore actors get parts in the show.

Off the top off my head the actors who played Snoop and the Deacon both were. Slim Charles is a DJ from nearby Washington DC. I'm sure there are others - the obituary talks about Robert Chew helping 22 young Baltimore actors get parts in the show.

Some of the actors in other roles were Baltimore natives. I'm sure there are at least a couple of cops. The "real" jay landsman, for example. I think there were a few real politicians who had bit parts in city hall. Iircc, some blokey who encourages Royce to not shut down hamsterdam straight away was a real mayor, who had lost his job for suggesting drugs should be legal.

the sergeant of the homicide unit the big guy who ran it was a baltimore copper before he was in the show and alot of the bit players i believe were baltimore drug dealers etc hang jon of arc has just said this yeah jay landsman was a cop.
homicide life on the street was the business aswell about baltimore alot of the charachters are in the wire .

Back
Top Bottom