Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Jerry Springer has died

Didn’t you mention you had a VHS of this somewhere but it would only play out in black and white (prob cos it was NTSC).

Surely now in 2023 there must be a way now of getting this converted in all its colourful glory ;)
What year was it? It may very well be up on YouTube already

Oh, I thought he'd already died.
Can't say I'll miss him, nor that Kyle character when he goes.
I still don't see the point of their programmes

I vaguely remember him platforming the Klan. Or was that Rikki Lake?

No matter, his ouvre contributed the amplification of human misery and leaves a toxic legacy regardless of whatever personal qualities he may (or may not) have had.
He did have the Klan on a few times

The one time he got a proper nasty neo nazi on he lost his shit and started punching him.
That was fun. You could see that the security let Jerry get a good few hits in before separating them.

id say it was worse than what we have now
I kinda feel it slightly worse now. Springer at least kinda framed it as trying to help and didn't seem to be directly mocking the guests.
had to see some jermy kyle when trapped in a waiting office and he was a fuck head judgemental prick right to all of their faces.

I could imagine a Springer gust remembering the time fondly. Can't image that for kyle.

Kyle’s show has been pulled though, and it’s doubtful tv shows like his will be made again.
This doesn’t mean that much of reality tv programming isn’t just as exploitative and nasty as the reality chat show format. Look at Love Island. Fuck knows why that’s still allowed to be broadcast But people watch it. Even people I like and respect watch it. They shouldn’t. But they do.
But who am I to judge, I participate in horrific and barbarous exploitation in other ways. We are all hypocrites.

He did fuck up lives on a daily basis as part of his talk show. They aren't as soft as some people probably remember them being.

Some UK TV shows did actually go much further, but that was because Jerry Springer was unexpectedly popular on daytime TV.

Perhaps it's rose tinted spectacles - and also perhaps the transatlantic distance - but I just can't feel negative about Jeremy Springer compared to other shows of the same genre. I think the worst that can be said is that it helped pave the way for much nastier and more exploitative stuff. It was so much fun. And then there was the opera, which upset all the right people.

Jerry Springer the Opera was really different to the actual TV show, though, except that IIRC it sorta mentioned that th show started off serious and meaningful. and then turned to exploiting poor people because that got more viewers.

The protests were by Christian right-wing groups who vehemently objected to Adam, Eve, Jesus etc being on stage as figures of fun.

It wasn't supportive of the Jerry Springer format at all and wasn't anything to do with Springer or his company or the any of the producers. Springer was apparently there the night I went to see it (we got free tickets through a mate) and did seem to enjoy it.

Yeah I know the opera was completely unconnected - but its existence underlines what a phenomenon the show was, for good and bad

I don't think it aired in the UK but there was also a similar show Maury in the US which was less fighty, but did have some cracking shows like the one with this delightful guest.

Months before her death, Nancy Campbell-Panitz went on "The Jerry Springer Show" with her ex-husband and his new wife thinking they would reconcile. The show's producers had other plans.

They wanted the Sarasota trio with a history of domestic violence to fight on camera, according to investigative records released today.

"Actually we didn't even do a good job," Eleanor Panitz, murder suspect Ralf Panitz's second wife, told investigators in August, the documents show. "They wanted yelling and screaming and to lunge at each other."

Campbell-Panitz, who spent the night before the Springer taping with her ex-husband, walked off the stage in the episode, called "Secret Mistresses Confronted."

In the limousine to the airport with other guests later, Eleanor Panitz wished aloud her romantic rival was dead, the guests later reported to authorities.

The show was billed as "Secret Mistresses Confronted!", hinting at all the vital ingredients of the Jerry Springer Show: sex, humiliation, pain and sensation. Life lived by exclamation mark, until the strain was too much to bear. The show's schedule promised: "Eleanor says her husband's ex-wife, Nan, won't take no for an answer. Nan has stalked them so severely that they had to go into hiding. Today, Nan will learn that her ex-husband is actually married to Eleanor!"

The self-styled "ringmaster", Jerry Springer, has frequently been accused of staging its dramas, but Nancy Campbell-Panitz seems to have had no idea what was waiting for her when her former husband, Ralf, called her from Chicago in May to ask her to appear on the show.

After three years of fights, breaking up and making up, often punctuated by violence, Nancy apparently believed she was going to get Ralf back. They slept together the night before the show and she went to the studio confident that the other woman, Eleanor, was in for a shock.

She was wrong. When Nancy walked on to the stage, she was jeered by the audience, to whom she had been portrayed as an unhinged, jealous stalker. Worse was to come. Ralf and Eleanor announced the news of their own marriage and took turns centre-stage taunting the jilted 52-year-old.

Campbell-Panitz, 52, was found strangled and beaten to death in her Sarasota home the day the Springer show aired and hours after a judge barred Panitz from her home.

Back
Top Bottom