Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Roast dinner help!

I rub a bit of butter on the breasts and I prop it up on onions/carrots/whatever I've put in to the bottom to make my gravy out of. its only stuck one time when I forgot to turn it over quick enough and the onions etc had cooked enough to let it touch the bottom

I think my problem is the timing too then.

You can't roast a chicken propped up on broccoli!
The broccoli will well over cook..?
Put some stock in there with it. The broc eventually melts down with the chicken juices and you've also put some onions in there. Use it afterwards for your gravy.

Put some stock in there with it. The broc eventually melts down with the chicken juices and you've also put some onions in there. Use it afterwards for your gravy.
That is an interesting suggestion. Initially I thought you were just a wrong 'un but perhaps, just perhaps, you may be onto something...

The first thing to learn with domestic cooking is mise en place. The logistics of having things prepared and doing things in easy stages. Keep things really simple and minimise that frantic rush to fill plates at the end. Roast chicken is a perfect example.

This Marcella Hazan’s roast chicken with lemon

Is reliable with a decent chicken. You don't have to be too fussy about sealing the bird, stab the lemons put them in the bird, salt liberally, and just tie it up and douse it in a some olive oil. Then put in a hot oven about two hours before serving.

Two cheap timers are better than one for this sort of thing. One for the chicken another for the potatoes.

A 3lb chicken takes about an hour and a quarter. A good gamey French bird needs a little longer.

Sometimes after 20 minutes I throw in some whole garlic cloves in the pan and flip the bird upright. I do baste it a couple of times after that more to check nothing is burning. When the times up take it out and let it rest for at 20-40 minutes. This takes all the pressure off and poultry like a lot of things is better warm than hot. You can deglaze the pan with wine if you fancy something a little of something gravyish but it's not really needed with roast potatoes.

On potatoes: you need a slightly floury variety as for chips. Unlike the chicken they should not be kept waiting around long before serving. They need about 50 minutes total in a hot oven so they go in before the chicken comes out.Peel, cut into angular chunks, salt and parboil for about 10 minutes. Knock them about in the pot a little. Take some of the tasty fat off the dish the chicken is roasting in and in a separate uncrowded dish flip them about in it. Turn after about 30 mins by which time they should be getting crusty. If you want to be fancy throw in some chopped rosemary five minutes before the end.

In summer a herby tomato salad goes well before or alongside. In winter probably a nice sweet frost burnt brassica tossed in a lot of butter.

That is an interesting suggestion. Initially I thought you were just a wrong 'un but perhaps, just perhaps, you may be onto something...
It's a bit different but not a million miles from what you do with the carrots and onions. You need to cook the chicken in a reasonably deep dish that's not much bigger than the bird. Bung enough veg (carrots, onion, broccoli, some cloves of garlic) to keep the chicken about an inch off the base. Put in enough stock to come about half way up the veg (no more because you don't want the chicken in the stock). Oil and season the chicken and put it breast down on the veg for the first half of the cooking time. Turn it over for the second half and when you take the chicken out you're left with the juices from the chicken, the stock and all the softened veg. Push that through a sieve and use it for the gravy. :)

Make sure the water you boil the potatoes in is salted.
I've no idea why, but it makes for better roast potatoes.
I've even done side by side tests in the oven.

Best of luck with this, the good news is its quite difficult to completely fuck up a roast dinner so you will eat.

Prepare all the stuff first.and it'll be ok. Stuffed chicken in first, about 2 hours. don't worry about overcooking, not too hot don't burn it, cover the roasting meat with foil. Once its on the plate covered in gravy no one cares.

Spuds can go in next when the countdown is about an hour to go. Put spud in pan of water, turn on heat and bring to boil and boil for 5 mins. Have a roasting tray of a bit of oil (any old kind) in oven to heat. drain and dump in the hot oil, it'll sizzle a bit put in oven.

Now you have 45 mins to cook all the vege, just boil 'em, separate pans.

Always salt any water used for cooking.

Gravy, use a mix, eg Bisto.

I usually cover the roast with some foil and remove it about 30 mins before taking it out of the oven.
Adding vegetables in with it and a little stick works well and sets you up for a nice gravy.
I'd always do roast potatoes too...separately.

Looking forward to dinner now...nom nom.. :)

It was a success! Thanks for all the comments. I served roast chicken - I stuffed some lemon quarters and garlic gloves inside it and sprayed it with sunflower oil. Roast potatoes. Two kinds of stuffing - one paxo and one home made - parsley, breadcrumbs and herbs. Maple syrup glazed carrots. Gravy. Forgot to cook the peas. Canadian friend brought a lovely salad - rocket, apple, and other bits. Dessert was hot cross bun bread and butter pudding with lemon curd custard. As well as strawberries and pineapple.

I am now following this guide: How to make a chicken last a week
so I have made stock from the carcass.

I feel rather accomplished!

Back
Top Bottom