Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Stuart Christie

Yes, I was mainly asking whether he went along, maybe gave talks, etc.?

I've only been to the (London) ABF about twice :oops: -- ages ago -- and I have no recollection of Stuart Christie being there?

But others on here will surely know :)

Come Dungeons Dark The Life and Times of Guy Aldred, Glasgow Anarchist - John Taylor Caldwell
With Fate Conspire: Memoirs of a Glasgow Seafarer and Anarchist - John Taylor Caldwell
Severely Dealt With: Growing up In Belfast and Glasgow - John Taylor Caldwell
An Anarchists Story: The life of Ethel Macdonald - Chris Dolan
Anti-Parliamentary Communism: The movement for Workers Councils in Britain 1917-45 - Mark Shipway
Cheers mate, that's brilliant.

We have just posted translations of tributes from:
Octavio Alberola
"René’s answer stopped me in my tracks, because even though Stuart had told me a week before that the cancer had left him still hoarse and that the findings of his medical tests were none too encouraging, it never at any moment occurred to me that he would be taken so quickly. I am surrounded by several male and female comrades – more or less of my own age – who are in none too rude health and at my age (due to turn 93 shortly) the thought that one’s days are numbered is just “normal”.
But in Stuart’s case, how could this be when he was eighteen years my junior? Besides, we had both been working on joint projects and both had been determined to plough ahead with our battles with the world of authority and exploitation. "
You can read all of it at Octavio Alberola says goodbye to Stuart Christie

Frank Mintz
"Stuart has left us at a point when, his homeland, and the capitalist system in general (whether private capitalism, statist, marxist-leninist or religious) is in the throes of a crisis; so the continuity and gravitas and determination that were the mainstays of Stuart’s life continue to make a sound contribution to activists, current and future. His is an honest and active legacy, mirroring his sensibilities which were always linked to reality and to a rejection of social exploitation in every sphere of life.
May the earth sit lightly on you, Stuart."
In Memoriam: Stuart Christie, 10 July 1946-15 August 2020

Just found out. So bloody sad. Corresponded over the years. Last saw him speak in Newcastle and at London Book Fairs.

Late to this thread, but I'm really, really sorry to read this news :(
RIP :(
Thanks for posting this up, zahir :
It's a great read, a pretty good obit IMO.
But for whatever reason, it fails to mention that he (briefly?) did some history teaching/lecturing at Queen Mary College (University of London) in the mid-eighties.
That was just after I graduated from there
, but someone told me it was Paul Preston (Franco biographer and Spanish Civil War expert!) who recruited him.

I've just spent ages digging around some of the Stuart Christie links posted on the Kate Sharpley Library page, and the fact that they've posted up Albert Meltzer's autobiography was a welcome find -- it's fascinating! :cool:

But from this (page 20) of it, it looks like I've got some stuff wrong about Stuart Christie's time at Queen Mary College -- Albert had him down as a 'mature student' -- maybe he was never teaching there as such.

Albert Meltzer said:
The bills mounted up and Stuart had to live. He got out from under by winding it up, and then applying for a grant as a mature student to study history and politics at Queen Mary College, London, commuting backwards and forwards between London and Cambridge each day. We used to meet for a meal in Whitechapel most weeks and I always asked him what he expected to do with a Mickey Mouse degree at most**. I was brought up when University education was a privilege for the rich and powerful. When working-class youth fell foul of the Establishment it told them to emigrate or join the Navy. Now these are closed, they are told to go to higher education, even when they know more than the professors.

**(That History and Politics 'Mickey Mouse Degree' :hmm: at QMC was exactly what I graduated in!! -- but in 1984, two years earlier than Stuart Christie's graduation in 1986)

It could well be that Paul Preston doing research and teaching there in the Eighties was at least partly to do with why Stuart Christie was inspired to go to QMC in particular, but it looks like I misremembered what I'd been told about that :oops:

ANYWAY -- that Meltzer book looks like an all-round full-on read IMO :), not least about the inspiring sounding books but financial failures of Christie's publishing projects.

(And because of all the other stories/ideas from Meltzer about anarchism, politics, capitalism, fascism, etc.!!)

Last edited:
There's also this BBC documentary on Ethel MacDonald

Only time I ever met Stuart was at the Projectile anarchist film festival in Newcastle when I introduced his talk. He wasn't plugging his book from what I remember, but it must have been round about when Granny came out in one volume (it had previously been published in parts). We also showed the Ethel MacDonald film one year.

Farewell comrade and thanks for all you did.

Edit: actually, he was introducing the film he was trying to get funding for. Bless ya Libcom for archiving stuff.

The blurb there, which I wrote, reminds me another member of the Projectile collective accused me of having a 'leaden prose style'. :D Not something you could have ever said about Stuart.

Last edited:
As an aside, Norton is blocking me accessing that, as 'a known dangerous page' - and blocking any attempt to get to the ACG webpage via searches. Strangely enough, when I clicked on the obit an hour ago, I could get through.
Thanks Wilf. I’ll relay that back. It may be part of the Facebook anti anarchist assault.

Back
Top Bottom