Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Stuart Christie

Very sorry to hear this. He was still posting to christiebooks until mid-June.

I was a Cienfuegos subscriber and Black Flag reader in the 70s and Stuart's writing and publishing had a good deal of influence. I don't know if people still read 'The Floodgates of Anarchy'. (Some varieties of 'class-struggle anarchism' these days appear to be primarily influenced by the output of what Black Flag used to describe as the 'package deal left'). I can only say that at the time it engaged me as an introductory text in a way that, say, Nicolas Walters' 'About Anarchism', or Laurens Otter's 'Introduction to Revolutionary Anarchism' did not.

I just tried out the automated paypal shopping cart at Christiebooks and it is still functioning. You want the ebookshelf link at the top. There are lot of interesting inexpensive ebooks, including a lot of Paul Sharkey's translations along with Stuarts own writings. I've no idea whether whoever is looking after his affairs needs funds, but even if not while it's still working it's a chance to pick things up and no doubt the proceeds will go to a good cause.

(From the basket use the Paypal button. Once the Paypal payment has been made you are returned to a page with an invoice and a 'Place Order' button. Hit that and you are taken to a download link. The one's I bought came in mobi format but are easily converted. If you want to see what you are buying many are also available on Amazon where they have the preview function working. They are a good deal more expensive there).

Very sorry to hear this. He was still posting to christiebooks until mid-June.

I was a Cienfuegos subscriber and Black Flag reader in the 70s and Stuart's writing and publishing had a good deal of influence. I don't know if people still read 'The Floodgates of Anarchy'. (Some varieties of 'class-struggle anarchism' these days appear to be primarily influenced by the output of what Black Flag used to describe as the 'package deal left'). I can only say that at the time it engaged me as an introductory text in a way <snip>
Cienfuegos PR was for me ( i know 2020 and move on etc it's the internet) but exactly what the sort of thing that an anarchist publishing collective project should be doing, and i find it mental that we've not been able to do anything of that quality - despite/because times changing, since. Just churning about books about non-anarchists because they sell or not ensuring that publication is a debate.

Last edited:
My Dad remembers Stuart as a boy. (He’s older than Stuart was). He grew up in Blantyre, right across the road from my grandparents’ house. Reading his autobiography, “My Granny”, I know the places he talks about, and the culture, although I’m a generation later, so things weren’t the same by the time I knew them.

I’ll probably reread My Granny soon. (Although my reading has slowed down during the pandemic. I don’t seem to have the impetus). It’s a great read.

Thanks for all your work, comrade. You were an inspiration.

Therer's an interesting comment on the graun obituary could anyone tell me if i could find out more about the old scottish anarchism the poster talks of?

I feel that in an otherwise well written obit, Duncan Campbell fails to point out that from the late 1870's onward, there was always a strong anarchist (and later, syndicalist), movement around in the working class slums of Glasgow and the surrounding mining townships. This survived well into the 20th century and was a factor in the strong anti-war movement in the West of Scotland during the Great War. Stuart (who I met just once or twice) would have imbibed this political current from the likes of anarchist veterans like Guy Aldred, Rose Wincup, John Caldwell and the redoubtable Ethel MacDonald, who was a regular broadcaster to Britain during the Spanish Civil War from republican short wave stations in Barcelona.

Therer's an interesting comment on the graun obituary could anyone tell me if i could find out more about the old scottish anarchism the poster talks of?
Come Dungeons Dark The Life and Times of Guy Aldred, Glasgow Anarchist - John Taylor Caldwell
With Fate Conspire: Memoirs of a Glasgow Seafarer and Anarchist - John Taylor Caldwell
Severely Dealt With: Growing up In Belfast and Glasgow - John Taylor Caldwell
An Anarchists Story: The life of Ethel Macdonald - Chris Dolan
Anti-Parliamentary Communism: The movement for Workers Councils in Britain 1917-45 - Mark Shipway

Last edited:
Late to this thread, but I'm really, really sorry to read this news :(

RIP :(

Thanks for posting this up, zahir :

Guardian obituary

It's a great read, a pretty good obit IMO.

But for whatever reason, it fails to mention that he (briefly?) did some history teaching/lecturing at Queen Mary College (University of London) in the mid-eighties.

That was just after I graduated from there, but someone told me it was Paul Preston (Franco biographer and Spanish Civil War expert!) who recruited him.

He came to a party that we organised in Leytonstone in 1985 -- a pupil of his at QMC was housesharing with us at the time, and she not only invited him, but urged me to have a chat with him about history ....

Very interesting that was too -- lovely man.

I'd hardly heard of him then, but I picked up plenty -- we chatted for a good while!

(He was very aware of the 'War and Literature' course that was active at QMC at the time -- maybe he taught on that himself? My module with that course had been Spanish Civil War/Homage to Catelonia oriented .... I wish I remembered better :oops: what Mr Christie's views were on Orwell and POUM, but we certainly discussed them .... )

I found Granny Made me an Anarchist a much-loved read about twelve (?) years ago too.

Like danny la rouge , I intend a re-read now! :)

Respect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom