Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Niki Lauda

Saddened by the news; I saw him race (and win) in the early '80s. Saw him a couple of times since in the Ferrari garage. Always surprised how small he was in real life.

Impressed that his death was the headline news article on the radio.

Saddened but not shocked, I’d read he had not been well since his last operation. Outstanding that he survived so long after Nurburgring in 76.
Truly inspirational in a time when Formula 1 meant something.

RIP Niki Lauda. Champion.

I posted this both here and on the F1 thread because I thought he was a man known to fans and those within the sport, and by others. The comments already being posted show this was the case.

Surely this is a true indicator of how great he was.

He owned a small airline and flew a plane I was on once. Wondered why there were TV cameras at the airport, then "hello this is your pilot Niki Lauda speaking, welcome on board"

That's a shame, I always liked Niki's input before and after the GP's. He was a straight talker by F1 standards.

And as to his driving days and recovery from his accident, a real fighter. I was too young to witness it first hand but have heard all about it since.

RIP Niki.

Aww that's sad.

I used to fly with Lauda Air to Austria, where we'd be picked up and taken over the border to Hungary when I was a youngun. Visiting the famalam was the happiest time of the year for me.

He gave me many happy memories.

His lungs were badly damaged in the fire, he had a lung transplant last year and suffered from bouts of pneumonia.
70 is young but he had some major difficulties to overcome.

Yeah, he should have been dead in '76, so every day after that has been a bonus. And he filled those days to full. Lauda Air is no more, but Laudamotion lives on, tied in with Ryanair. And he's been instrumental in the massive success of Lewis Hamilton/Mercedes.

RIP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom