Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

RIP Donald Sutherland

Invasion of the Body Snatchers remake (1978) for me - fucking love that film and he's excellent in it.
He was also really good in the Hunger Games films (one of the best point in them was him) - very chilling performance from him.

Apparently never even nominated for an Oscar, yet still one of the most well known actors of his generation, who had some great roles.

How sad. Always loved him in everything I saw him in. But for the final scene of invasion of the body snatchers he takes the crown as the most scary and freaky character ever. First time I saw that I was properly chilled by it!

How sad. Always loved him in everything I saw him in. But for the final scene of invasion of the body snatchers he takes the crown as the most scary and freaky character ever. First time I saw that I was properly chilled by it!
One of the reasons that film was so fucking excellent was for his utterly terrifying performance in the last few seconds of it - he hit just the right note and it was truly a seminal moment in the history of cinema - that last scene is in our collective memory now, not every film or actor has a moment like that. It's like the Psycho shower scene, everyone recognises it.
I loved Don't Look Now also ofc but I find that more of a difficult watch.

One of the reasons that film was so fucking excellent was for his utterly terrifying performance in the last few seconds of it - he hit just the right note and it was truly a seminal moment in the history of cinema - that last scene is in our collective memory now, not every film or actor has a moment like that. It's like the Psycho shower scene, everyone recognises it.
I loved Don't Look Now also ofc but I find that more of a difficult watch.
I don't know if I've seen don't look now.. Will have to check it out

I don't know if I've seen don't look now.. Will have to check it out
It's quite sad and horrific, if you haven't seen then try to watch it, but be aware that it's about loss of a child and deep grief if that's something you find difficult to watch (it's why it isn't my favourite of his films, I find it quite hard going, it is a very loved film though and many consider it his best work)

Recall him being quite the haunted psychic in Murder by Decree. He was good at playing tortured types. Not showy, but got the role across.

View attachment 429853

one of my all time favourite films this, featuring a stellar cast!!
View attachment 429855
Just such a superb film, I rarely like a remake better than the original, but this was an absolutely brilliant remake - and as you say with such a great cast.
All of the main cast did a brilliant job, Goldblum was excellent as well (it must have been quite early on in his career but it helped make him famous because it was just such a good film) they were all great in it, Brooke Adams and Veronica Cartwright too (not in the photo but also really good)
So atmospheric and scary. And with such an iconic final few seconds. Truly a classic of the genre.
Trying to find where I can watch it.

Back
Top Bottom