Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Richard III film libel case

Larry O'Hara

Apologies if this has been covered already but very disturbed to see judge has ruled in favour of the academic creep and against the superb film :
See here
In my experience of academia I thought the portrayal of the academic involved and the University (PLC) was totally and utterly believable.

It was a real person being depicted. Unless you know him personally, I'm not sure you are entitled to a view on its accuracy, are you?
I obviously do not know him personally: but merely say the way he was portrayed rang totally true in terms of my experience of academics. I notice, for example, there was no rebuttal of the sly move whereby his name was on the car park exhumation order and Philippa’s not. And I ask you: have you even seen the film?

If a judge can have such a view so can I: it’s not like Starmer’s Labour Party: dissent is not yet illegal
Yes, but deciding thar someone must a shower of shit, because that is the way that Steve Coogan decided to portray them in a film is not the approach one would expect from Urban75's foremost investigative journalist; not illegal, just bad form.

I obviously do not know him personally: but merely say the way he was portrayed rang totally true in terms of my experience of academics. I notice, for example, there was no rebuttal of the sly move whereby his name was on the car park exhumation order and Philippa’s not. And I ask you: have you even seen the film?
It wasn't obvious. From what you posted, you appeared to have knowledge about the accuracy of the portrayal - the details, not the general vibe.

I mean clearly from my above comment I haven't seen it, but I know that it's very dodgy in legal terms to portray a named real life person in a particular way and just because some academics are like that doesn't make it OK to portray an individual a particular way if it's untrue or without factual evidence.
Anyone know what streaming service if any this is on? I'm intrigued now.

I mean clearly from my above comment I haven't seen it, but I know that it's very dodgy in legal terms to portray a named real life person in a particular way and just because some academics are like that doesn't make it OK to portray an individual a particular way if it's untrue or without factual evidence.
Anyone know what streaming service if any this is on? I'm intrigued now.
You haven’t seen it…its on Netflix I think (I have the DVD)

Yes, but deciding thar someone must a shower of shit, because that is the way that Steve Coogan decided to portray them in a film is not the approach one would expect from Urban75's foremost investigative journalist; not illegal, just bad form.

Coogan plays Langley's husband, the academic is played by Lee Ingleby.

Wasn't aware of the film before but I definitely want to see it now that it's been Streisand Effected by the lawsuit

Coogan plays Langley's husband, the academic is played by Lee Ingleby.

Wasn't aware of the film before but I definitely want to see it now that it's been Streisand Effected by the lawsuit

I think Coogan directed though?
So fair enough to say it was his portrayal/direction if that is the case.

And yes it's just made me want to see the film - actually not sure how I missed it, this is right up my alley car park

Back
Top Bottom