Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Renting From Places for People?

moody

Member of The Underground.
I was wondering if anyone has or is renting a property from Places for People?
I am wondering what is involved in the application process, do I need to be on the council waiting list?

I am wondering what is involved in the application process, do I need to be on the council waiting list?
Look on their website as it varies area to area whether you have to be on the council list. In some areas you do, in other areas some or all homes are offered on their own system. I don't rent from them but i did apply to them before i got my current flat. They seem to manage an estate near me fairly well compared to a couple of other housing associations.

I'm interested as the properties they list seem to be very affordable and there are quite a few near me.

not much info on there site. I might email them

It depends on what sort of housing - if it is a HA tenancy then they would have a waiting list - normally a certain percentage would go to applicants on the local council waiting list, so you'd have to be registered, and have bidding points (Most Housing is allocated via a Choice Based Letting system). They may have an internal waiting list - but that is likely to be for existing tenants.

If it is key worker or Shared Ownership - then that would be a direct application I'd have thought. They might have some sort of private-letting scheme - whereby they charge lower than the average private rent for the area (usually around 80% of the average - I'd have thought that was via direct application as well.

Our rented property is owned by Dolphin Living (housing charity) who outsource the property management to Touchstone who are part of the Places For People group.
Not directly relevant to your question but I can't recall ever dealing with quite such an incompetent, disorganised or insensitive organisation.
We're a family of 5 with 3 children under 13, when our kitchen flooded recently under the floorboards it took 5 contractors and 6 visits for them to even locate the source of the leak, gaslighting us after each visit that the issue was resolved, while water was still coming up through the floorboard and our kitchen, and only access to drinking water and murky swimming pool.
Over 4 weeks later we still have no flooring in our kitchen, mould up all the walls and no timescale for the repairs while "quotes are approved".
This is on top of their admittance that several reports of disrepair from ourselves and their own surveyors over the previous two years have not been actioned including holes in external walls and doors allowing vermin in to the property, improper ventilation in the kitchen and bathroom leading to black mould, cracks and swelling in the internal ceiling and walls indicating further leaks in the pipework of the property and a retaining wall in the garden which is on the point of collapsing.
It's nearly impossible to ever get through to speak to anyone, emails go unacknowledged or replied to days later with non committal responses, and all the while we are expected to go about our normal lives as if nothing is amiss and made to feel we are simply being a nuisance.
Anecdotally we moved into our property 7 years ago on an "intermediate" rent for working families in London after being on a waiting list, paying £1,050 a month for a 3 bed house which has now risen to £1750. Our next-door neighbours, family of 4 with 2 under 16, have been in the adjoining property for ten years and have been served a section 20 on dubious grounds and sadly lost their court appeal against it last week so are going to be homeless in two weeks.
All the while... 3 other properties in the cul de sac have gone on the rental market after neighbours moving out in the last couple of years, all straight through a high street estate agent, and priced at £2500 a month so we are not naive as to where this is all leading, though it seems in stark contrast to their mission statement:

"Our primary charitable objective is to support London's workers on modest incomes who cannot afford housing near to their place of work. This is fulfilled through the provision of homes to rent at below market levels. In 2021 79% of our 799 homes were available for intermediate rent at an average discount of 40% to the local market rent. We house those who make London work and with whom London is better place to live and work."

Apologies for the essay/rant! Just a heads up to be careful with these new style housing charities/associations as in our experience, what they offer initially may not be not be deliverable in the end..

I’ve rented from Places for People before. The application process was pretty straightforward and I didn’t need to be on the council waiting list. Just make sure you have your documents ready and you should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom