Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Remembering the New Piccadilly Café in central London

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
is this the place where you can bring your own bottle, to have with your breakfast or lasagne and chips? i'd only just found this place and didn't even have my own bottle with me..

I am planning an evening there very soon, get a bunch of peeps together BYO wine, amazing, i love that place, it's real shame that it has to close :confused:

I thought that the decision has still yet be made by the owner, but the rising rents would it make it difficult for the New Pic to survive.

I've got some pics up HERE

Oh no. After the closure of the excellent Euro Sandwich Bar or Euro caff in Swallow Street, this will leave W1 with no decent cafes whatsoever. :(

Edit: Ahh, there's still hope. :)

Don't think there is. I was in there two weeks ago and had a chat with one guy there (who may have been the owner, he was acting like it). Sounded definite to me. I assume some of the publicity about the closure may have increased their business (although i understand the rent is going up a ridiculous amount), or maybe some celeb will bail them out at the last minute.

A shame if it's true, although I'd heard that the owner was still undecided. There's still the Lorelei though ( they filmed some scenes in the Long Firm there)

It's the only place in London where you can get tunny fish salad :)

I love the cafe, we call it the place at home, because we go to it so much.

I shall be really gutted when it closes, and everthankful to my ex b/f for taking me there the first time.

I don't really understand why it is still so cheap. Surely, they could fleece their yuppy media type clientele a little more effectively. Last time I was in their those repulsive housecleaning women from channel four were their drinking 50p coffees with their researcher minnions. I hope they were just there for the atmosphere, but I do keep on checking the schedules for "How greasy is your spoon?" They could double their prices and still beat Starfucks and Costa coffee.

I had an uncle that worked at Swann & Edgar's department store nearby (now gone) so used to go into the New Piccadilly as a child on a few occasions. It was seen as something of a treat because I always got a banana split.

About half of Soho is owned by Paul Raymond (of Raymond's Revue Bar fame) so if you want to know who's putting the rents up, there's a good chance it's him - or rather his executives, as he must be quite ancient now.

That New Picadilly is absolutely lovey innit. The lasagna and chips are to die for. Wonderful atmosphere, staff and decor - an institution!

It's gutting that high rent puts places like this out of business :( - it's such an important part of the local community....

We enjoyed a lovely meal here on Monday night and strongly implore urbanites to pay this no-nonsense, old school café a visit before its inevitable closure.

Walking into the café is like stepping back in time, with its original fittings, Formica tops and old fashioned cutlery still being called into service.

Highly recommended!

The New Piccadilly

editor said:
We enjoyed a lovely meal here on Monday night and strongly implore urbanites to pay this no-nonsense, old school café a visit before its inevitable closure.

Walking into the café is like stepping back in time, with its original fittings, Formica tops and old fashioned cutlery still being called into service.

Highly recommended!

The New Piccadilly

I used to know a place like that in Pennsylvania. There were posters of Elvis and Marilyn on the walls, and a jukebox with Rosemary Clooney. People used to think it was ironic and retro, but it was just that they hadn't changed the decor since 1958.

that place is amazing!!!

it should be preserved,it would be a fookin disgrace to see it close down and replaced by some bullshit franchise

I was an accasional diner at the New piccadilly when i lived in London. It would be shame for it to go and be replaced by a glitzy coffee place or a (briefly) trendy bar.

the food is bit shite there but you don't go for the food

great cafe - i often used to pop in here en-route to an evening out drinking - and a brilliant little feature Mike, some great photos. It is such a shame that places like this are being forced out of central London.

Dave

Great work. I go there quite a bit. The flippin' National Trust should slap some sort of preservation order on it. Meanwhile we're being overwhelmed by a tsunami of Costa Packets, and other bland Friends style chains. Yeuuccchhh!!!

charlie mowbray said:
Great work. I go there quite a bit. The flippin' National Trust should slap some sort of preservation order on it. Meanwhile we're being overwhelmed by a tsunami of Costa Packets, and other bland Friends style chains. Yeuuccchhh!!!
i really like this place too, wish i had found it sooner. it's in a bit of soho where i had no expectation of finding somewhere like that (cos it's so near theatre/stripjoint/tourist-land), so was amazed to find somewheer new after so long. wonder if it could have a renaissance if more people used to the main soho areas knew of it....

charlie mowbray said:
That's what it is!!! The "friends-style" chains. I couldn't quite put my finger in what is was all those places were!

I'll definitely be heading down to this cafe next time I'm in london.

There's a really nice cafe that I used to go to while on work experience 6 years ago. Was a really nice place, about 15 minutes walk from Moorgate. Think it was somewhere near St Lukes/Whitecross. Had some really hefty meals down there for only about £3-£4. If I find the address, I'll post it up on the cafe sticky.

I got given a book (mainly photos) on London's cafes for Xmas. Some really superb decco stuff still in place - I'll post up some recommendations later.....

FYI Bar Bruno on Wardour St is another example of a quality old cafe, the Italian guys in there are great fun, and the grubs great, especially the omlettes

Maybe we should have a U75 night out at the Piccadilly :)

My husband and I haven't been up to town together for a little while, so we've not been in for a bit.. have to change that very soon :)

and they sell tunny fish salad...

Back
Top Bottom