Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reggae Britannia BBC4 - starting this Friday!!

Have just watched reggae Britannia and they were talking about a bob Marley album that was rocked up using American musicians, but they also said there's a roots version. Does anyone knnow what I'd be looking for if I wanted it, I.e what it's called? Is it available?

it was catch a fire (sold my original zippo cover copy for 50 quid a few months ago). the roots versions are on the 2001 deluxe edition, apparently.

Awesome, thanks....... I'm gonna try and get hold for a listen

If you're after it on CD I'd recommend buying the Deluxe edition which came out a few years back. It contains the released version on one CD and the original Jamaican issue without the overdubs on another. I don't usually go for overdubs but they did an amazing job, transforming heavy roots productions into a musically interesting and beautiful fusion which has been much copied but never bettered imo. Most attempts at crossover sound truly awful, this one hit the spot. I still prefer the JA productions, but that puts me in a minority.

The "Classic Albums" series on the BBC did a whole programme on it, it's well worth tracking down. Some nice footage showing the American guitarist who knew nothing about reggae and yet laid down some of the most sympathetic and inspired overdubs ever put to reggae. Chris Blackwell's real moment of production genius, I reckon.

it was catch a fire (sold my original zippo cover copy for 50 quid a few months ago). the roots versions are on the 2001 deluxe edition, apparently.

My mate told me for 15 years he was going to give me his copy, so I never picked one up when they were cheap. Then he sold it for a tenner and didn't tell me. Now at some point I'm going to have to dig deep and getr one at full whack.

Enjoyed the Rocksteady doc but the omission of Alton Ellis a bit of an oversight.

I don't know the situation but it could have been a) Alton is known for being a bit narky sometimes and might have asked loads of cash to fly out from England, or b) he might have been dying at the time. It was mostlyl about artistes participating in a grand reunion.

Was some gems on the ''reggae at the BBC'' :cool: This should really be maybe a whole years worth of programmes,everyone sends me mentally down some ''ah what bout that?'' train of thought,enjoyable though,for telly

Bollocks, missed part 2 on BBC4 and it doesn't seem to be repeated later?

Just watched the concert at the Barbican, does anyone else think Rico Rodrieguez looked really ill?

Concert - Ken Boothe and Big Youth were fantastic, rest weren't bad either.

The Toots programme was brilliant, best reggae doc to have been made in years. What a star Toots is, he always comes across as such a happy, positive force. It was great to see him put that down to his parents and then his kids came on and you could see he's passed that on to them too.

The Toots programme was brilliant, best reggae doc to have been made in years. What a star Toots is, he always comes across as such a happy, positive force. It was great to see him put that down to his parents and then his kids came on and you could see he's passed that on to them too.
Total legend isn't he.

Looks like both the Toots programme and the Reggae at the BBC one are iPlayered :cool: . That's a big relief as we were out on the piss on Friday :oops: :D

Will catch em on Tues or Weds :)

Just watched the Toots programme and now have a big silly smile on my face, I always loved his music but have never seen him interviewed. It brought a tear to my eye when his daughter was talking about her daddy...

<off to youtube to watch more> :D

Just watched the Toots programme and now have a big silly smile on my face, I always loved his music but have never seen him interviewed. It brought a tear to my eye when his daughter was talking about her daddy...

<off to youtube to watch more> :D

Yeah same here..Bottom lip started to tremble a bit when Toot's daughter
got teary. I have loved Toots since i was 10...Now, just after my 40th birthday,
i will get to see Toots live in April...Can hardly wait.

wasnt rhythm festival the free one that used to be held in hitchin town centre until the council shut it down or something like that?

Has just moved from the festival site at Twinwood Arena, nr Milton Keynes. As far as I'm aware it has never been a free festival.

Exodus.

Rhythm Festival: The Background
Rhythm Festival was founded in 2006 by veteran music promoter and writer, Jim Driver, and was held until 2010 at Twinwood Arena, Clapham, Bedfordshire. Rhythm Festival aims to be different from other outdoor music festivals, by being smaller, friendlier and geared towards the customer. Says Jim Driver: “Rhythm is a family festival for people who like festivals but who don’t like rip-off burgers, terrible food and indifferent booze.”

Over the first five years Rhythm Festival headliners have included Jerry Lee Lewis, Alabama 3, Donovan, Roy Harper, Seth Lakeman, The Levellers, The Proclaimers, John Mayall’s Blues Breakers, Jefferson Starship, Joe Bonamassa, Big Star and (not!) Ike Turner (who was booked twice but who never actually showed up!)

Caught up with the Toots documentary the other day, sheer excellence, and fascinating! :D

That man is such a huge star, love him and all his stuff ... :cool:

Very glad to see as well that the 'Reggae at the BBC' footage seems not to be subject to the normal iPlayer time limits .... :) :cool:

Has just moved from the festival site at Twinwood Arena, nr Milton Keynes. As far as I'm aware it has never been a free festival.

Exodus.

oh right, thanks - i think i was thinking of this:
Rhythms Of The World
http://www.rotw.org.uk/page/open/title/history
history.jpg

Very glad to see as well that the 'Reggae at the BBC' footage seems not to be subject to the normal iPlayer time limits .... :) :cool:

Been watching this now (string of classics! :cool: ) but the no time limits things is bollox ... only a VERY small number of hours left for this one :eek:

Doing nothing right now (Sun evening)? You have less than 4 hours left ..... goferrit. No shortage of excellent tunage .... :)

Back
Top Bottom